Options

Watching people watching

saltydogsaltydog Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
edited May 30, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Okay, so I am going through my galleries to make some room and determine what to toss. That's how I came across this shot and I would love to know what you guys think.

This initially caught my attention by the somewhat unsual grouping as well as the irony of gradually slimming waist lines from left to right. I assume this is a family or they are very close friends, judging by how close they are standing together. They were watching some surfers, presumably members of the family as well, but the surfers are almost to far away to be seen - as much as I would have loved to have one of the surfers zooming by at close range, that just didn't happen...

300428902_skYoP-M.jpg

Allright, I am very much against altering an image by way of removing/cloning out elements, but this is one of the few where I gave it a try - does this enhance a surreal effect or just make it somewhat bland? I cloned out the surfers in the far back, so we really don't know why these people are standing there...

300428863_uRDXc-M.jpg

And last but not least, I made a color adjustment, based on the manipulated photo but of course it would work for the first one as well. I changed it to a more correct blue, but it is actually the overcast greenish glow that is more accurate to what it really looked like:

300428935_HzdW2-M.jpg

So, what do you guys like best? Or should I toss this altogether? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jana
all that we see or seem
is but a dream within a dream
- Edgar Allan Poe

http://www.saltydogphotography.com
http://saltydogphotography.blogspot.com

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    saltydog wrote:
    Okay, so I am going through my galleries to make some room and determine what to toss. That's how I came across this shot and I would love to know what you guys think.

This initially caught my attention by the somewhat unsual grouping as well as the irony of gradually slimming waist lines from left to right. I assume this is a family or they are very close friends, judging by how close they are standing together. They were watching some surfers, presumably members of the family as well, but the surfers are almost to far away to be seen - as much as I would have loved to have one of the surfers zooming by at close range, that just didn't happen...

Allright, I am very much against altering an image by way of removing/cloning out elements, but this is one of the few where I gave it a try - does this enhance a surreal effect or just make it somewhat bland? I cloned out the surfers in the far back, so we really don't know why these people are standing there...

And last but not least, I made a color adjustment, based on the manipulated photo but of course it would work for the first one as well. I changed it to a more correct blue, but it is actually the overcast greenish glow that is more accurate to what it really looked like:

So, what do you guys like best? Or should I toss this altogether? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Jana

Hi Jana,
    I'm going to choose the first image.
    Removing the surfers, makes it look like they are all just looking at nothing or even down at the sand.

All three images look good, but I prefer the first one myself nod.gif
    ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I like #2
    I actually like the middle one--to me, the water color looks more realistic (the greenish hue as you point out). Without the surfers in the background, I think the image opens ideas to the viewer . . . just what are they looking at?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Picture #3
    Well, not trying to be difficult here but I like the 3rd image the best. I think that the 3rd image could be easily made into some sort of office poster with a saying like "Imagine the Possibilities" or some such.

I like the blue-er water better because the green water just looks very dirty up by the shoreline.

The surfers in the first one are very distracting and hard to make out what they are. It just looks like dots or rocks, who knows.
    ~ Lisa