Horse no jump

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 1, 2008 in Sports
If this isn't the right place, please move it.

In the first photo you can see things ain't going well. Then it gets worse, much worse. Then in the end it gets better.

The photos tell the story.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    edited May 24, 2008
    edited May 24, 2008
    edited May 24, 2008
    edited May 24, 2008
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    You were in an excellent location Sam! Guess that's why we have continuos shutter mode?

The rider doesn't look very happy in that last one.

Thanks for sharing.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Ouch! I don't know who to feel more sorry for the horse or the very small built rider. What scary shots! Great captures and yes they do tell the story!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    they need to get themthere brakes checked...
    Aaron Nelson
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Opps......

Sam,

The second shot you posted is simply amazing. Maybe the local newspaper would be interested in this one?

Mike

P.S. Glad to see that the horse and rider were okay after taking this spill!
    edited May 25, 2008
    Not shot with burst mode. Single shot. The person with me, JC, has an even better shot of the horse and rider going over. She caught the rider a 1/2 second later than my second shot with her arms straight out as she left the horse.

Sam
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    I think the look on the rider's face at the end says it all.
    Scary, I'm glad both the rider and the horse were ok.
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Great captures!

But if only they were a little bit more...I dunno... ne_nau.gif

re-shoot? mwink.gifmwink.gif

Just Kidding! thumb.gifbowdown.gif

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Timing is everything.
    Sam wrote:
    Close one.

This one is awesome. I missed it - I saw it but didn't get my camera up in time to get the shot.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Off to the glue factory. Laughing.gif

Great shots!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 29, 2008
    Yeowza! Nice work Sam (and JC). Is this at the Horse Park in Woodside?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Great captures! Amazing :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
    edited May 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Yeowza! Nice work Sam (and JC). Is this at the Horse Park in Woodside?

Ian,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this is the horse park in Woodside.

Sam
    edited May 30, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Ian,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes this is the horse park in Woodside.

Sam
    Seems like every time I've gone by, they have done a lot of new work to make
    these "motocross for horses" tracks (don't know what it's called in horse
    lingo). They look difficult to negotiate too :D
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Seems like every time I've gone by, they have done a lot of new work to make
    these "motocross for horses" tracks (don't know what it's called in horse
    lingo). They look difficult to negotiate too :D

It's called a "Cross Country Course". (Also called XC.) The course is relatively unchanged from previous years - they have made only minor changes to the course from event to event - primarily moving the smaller obstacles so that the combination jumps are slightly different at each competition.

You can see my "course walk" photos of the XC courses for May and August 2006. To see the front of this jump, select the August course, then Advanced - this was jump 14A. The "jump" part of this obstacle is not very high - under 3'. If this jump were elsewhere on the grounds it would be suitable for horses at the Training level to jump it, but placed as it is on the entrance to the water, it is an Advanced level jump instead. (Advanced is the Olympic competition level in this sport.)

Are you interested in learning how to take photos of this type of competition? I've been asked to be the photographer for a small competition in Pescadero (on the coast, between Santa Cruz and San Francisco) in mid-June. I'm thinking of offering a photographer's clinic, where I teach other photographers how to shoot this type of event while we all cover the event together. Here are the type of photos we will be taking.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited May 30, 2008
    Hi JC,

I'm just not familiar with the horse thing (I've ridden a couple of times but
    otherwise know nothing about them). Not sure if it'd be something I'd shoot
    on a regular basis--but as is the case with most things, it's always good to
    take advantage of learning opportunities.
  • nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    jcdill wrote:
    It's called a "Cross Country Course". (Also called XC.) The course is relatively unchanged from previous years - they have made only minor changes to the course from event to event - ......

Are you interested in learning how to take photos of this type of competition? I've been asked to be the photographer for a small competition in Pescadero (on the coast, between Santa Cruz and San Francisco) in mid-June. I'm thinking of offering a photographer's clinic, where I teach other photographers how to shoot this type of event while we all cover the event together. Here are the type of photos we will be taking.
    Hi JC, and everyone else, excuse me for butting in, -but- if it's ok and if you are willing, I would be interested in learing more. I've been hacking away at it in the east bay to see if I can get it together... sometimes yes and many not so good ne_nau.gif maybe Pescadero or Woodside sometime..?

Dressage example -
    302751347_ocTeB-L-1.jpg

Cross Country example -
    222954060_5EDhR-L-1.jpg

maybe - ?

thanks
    Steve
    -end hijack-
    edited May 30, 2008
    I went with JC, and after some coaching was able to a few fairly good shots. While I have a lot to learn about shooting horses, I thought this was not too bad for my first time out.
  • nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    no kidding - that looks great!
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    After all the horse deaths and rider deaths and injuries its very callous to make snide "glue factory" comments. Those that shoot the sport come to know the animals, and feel for them. its a tuff sport, Not a joking matter.
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I have been shooting horse events for quite a few years and love it.

This is a young horse we are training. His 4 th show. He could easily jump the highest jumps of the day but doesn't know a lot of other things yet, so has to be ridden at a lower level.

mg46751mu7.jpg

mg4679xm0.jpg
    RON
  • SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    Ouch!

With so many getting hurt and much worse this year, this is one of my big fears. This lady was one of the lucky ones.
    RON