Pro Cycling photo op in Georgia

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited April 26, 2004 in The Big Picture
Tour de Georgia

The USPS team is supposed to be there. It might be a good chance to get a few photos of Lance. Anyone up for going?
Date
Stage
Start Venue
Finish Venue

Tuesday, April 20
Stage 1
Macon
Macon

Wednesday, April 21
Stage 2
Thomaston
Columbus

Thursday, April 22
Stage 3
Carrollton
Rome

Thursday, April 22
Stage 4
Rome
Rome

Friday, April 23
Stage 5
Dalton
Dahlonega

Saturday, April 24
Stage 6
Athens
Hiawassee/Young Harris

Sunday, April 25
Stage 7
Dawsonville
Alpharetta

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited April 1, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Tour de Georgia

The USPS team is supposed to be there. It might be a good chance to get a few photos of Lance. Anyone up for going?
    I wish I had the time - I would love to be there and see the races - What a thrill! Thanks for the info Patch - I might try to free up a day or two Hmmmm....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    wave.gif Me! If I ever get another day off, that is. I admire Lance, he's really on the ball.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • abhabh Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Tour de Georgia

Very tempting Patch. Way too busy with work, but if I get fired before then, I'll drop you a note...
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 12, 2004
    Hey Patch - did you end up going? Get any good photos you want to share? I would LOVE to see them. You know, since I plan on being the next Graham Watson, I gotta compare with your results...

:D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Patch - did you end up going? :D

Stage One starts on April 20th. 11doh.gif So as you were :slurp :slosh

I hope to get there, wish I knew where a good location would be.
    edited April 12, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Stage One starts on April 20th. 11doh.gif So as you were :slurp :slosh

I hope to get there, wish I knew where a good location would be.
    I'm a real tool sometimes.

Good locations: the back seat of the Mavic support motorcycles. :D But seriously, if you can get your hands on profile maps of the courses, head for the big climbs, the only place you are likely to get a decent shot if you are NOT mobile. From a quick check of my own, your best bet is the last stage, 7. Looks like they'll have it setup just like the Tour de France - a run into the final location and then circuit through the city. Go to the circuit race, multiple laps will give you many chances to shoot.

If you want the best bicycle racing in the US, you need to come up to Philadelphia this summer for the USPRO championships. Wow! Good photo ops as they lap the city.
    Erik

edited April 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif Me! If I ever get another day off, that is. I admire Lance, he's really on the ball.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh waxy, what wit. But I highly doubt Lance will be there. Although I've heard rumors that he is going to do more races this year, he is a one race rider. Unless that whole split up with his wife and life as a rock star have changed him, he will do about 3 races, all in Europe, before le Tour. He's still my hero, no matter what.
    Erik

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh waxy, what wit. But I highly doubt Lance will be there. Although I've heard rumors that he is going to do more races this year, he is a one race rider. Unless that whole split up with his wife and life as a rock star have changed him, he will do about 3 races, all in Europe, before le Tour. He's still my hero, no matter what.
    I'm pretty sure I heard on OLN last night that bowdown.gif Lance bowdown.gifwill be riding the Tour de Georgia.
    edited April 19, 2004
    So, Patch, you going? I'm not going to believe Cletus or OLN till I see a photo.

Or, wait, that could be his one courtesy US appearance a year (or so). I watched him race a crit down in NYC 2 years ago. It was an amazing crowd and cool race even though big Lance got shelled.
    Erik

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 20, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So, Patch, you going? I'm not going to believe Cletus or OLN till I see a photo.

Or, wait, that could be his one courtesy US appearance a year (or so). I watched him race a crit down in NYC 2 years ago. It was an amazing crowd and cool race even though big Lance got shelled.
    I hate to say it but I think he makes appearances rather than racing for the
    win. He did so in SFO not too long ago. It's too bad because I think his fans
    would like to see him race....

There was a marshalling post on another board. I think that would be a fun
    thing to do. Waxy? Can you get us some on-boards if you go :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited April 20, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

The local news is reporting that Lance will be there.

I am looking to go on Thursday to Rome, one stage finishes there and another one that day around Rome. wxwax will you make sure we have good weather? Anyone else able to make it?
    edited April 21, 2004
    There's a good chance I'll go, if I can figure out how to shoot them climbing a hill without having to deal with crowds.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited April 24, 2004
    Here is a quick shot of Lance. It was tough to pick him out and they go by very quickly. If I go back next year I will definitely need to get there a lot earlier or scout a better hill climb, not a bad way to spend the day though.

3685941-M.jpg
    edited April 24, 2004
    Patch patiently waiting for the bikes to appear, six-shooters at his sides.

3686663-M.jpg
    Sid.
    edited April 24, 2004
    Velo News has some good info and photos on the tour. Next year I need to figure out how to be a photographer on the back of the motorcycles.
    edited April 24, 2004
    Some very nice shots. Impressive that such an exprienced photographer called the little bitty Tour de Georgia's stage 5 "a great, great stage."
    Sid.
    edited April 24, 2004
    It's sooo cool that you folks are getting to shoot this race. I'm really envious of all of you! My wallet is probably glad I couldn't get to the race though. I'd use the race as an excuse to go buy a D2H.

Too bad Graham Watson isn't there. It would be fun to see the master at work.
    edited April 25, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Velo News has some good info and photos on the tour. Next year I need to figure out how to be a photographer on the back of the motorcycles.
    Wow, some pretty big names showed up for this race... Jens Voigt, Julich, Horner, Fraser's ridin' strong, and Lance on top of the GC! Awesome stuff, great for US cycling!

Yeah Patch, the back of a moto is the ONLY way to go for shooting a stage race. Maybe thats incentive for me to get my moto-official license for next year. I almost did it once a few years ago, but chose to spend the money on race entries instead - lot of good that did me.
    umph.gif
    Erik

edited April 25, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah Patch, the back of a moto is the ONLY way to go for shooting a stage race. Maybe thats incentive for me to get my moto-official license for next year. I almost did it once a few years ago, but chose to spend the money on race entries instead - lot of good that did me.
    umph.gif

I would like to get on the back of a bike next year. I have the number of the guy who was in charge of the bikes. I will give him a call and see what he says.
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Wow, some pretty big names showed up for this race... Jens Voigt, Julich, Horner, Fraser's ridin' strong, and Lance on top of the GC! Awesome stuff, great for US cycling!

umph.gif
    Like this guy?
    87.jpg Click the image to go to the page

But another way to do it is to be part of the Moto volunteer crew which is how I got the shots at http://www.iisc.com/Triath030831Web/ . When the photographer wants to stop, you get to take some pictures too. Like this:

21.jpg

My choices of shutter speeds and lenses were not great but that wasn't from lack of opportunity.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited April 25, 2004
    Here are a few more shots.

3716472-S.jpg

3716569-M.jpg

3716491-M.jpg

3716487-M.jpg

I liked the shadows in this one.

3716479-M.jpg

I think wxwax took this one with my camera.

3716470-S.jpg

Here is the rest of the gallery. It was trickier to shoot mainly because of the support vehicles being in the way. The original side we were on was no good since that is where the support vehicles were, except for a few times when they were on both sides of the road.
    edited April 25, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Here are a few more shots.

3716487-M.jpg
    Hiya Geroge wave.giflol3.gif

Outstanding pictures folks! thumb.gif
    edited April 26, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Hiya Geroge wave.giflol3.gif

Outstanding pictures folks! thumb.gif
    Word is the Berry Floor boys (the "american" portion of US Postal) are going to be dropped soon, so they put in an outstanding show this past week to display otherwise.

Yeah, George is the man. I really want to see him win Roubaix. Patch - get yourself to France for that one, AWESOME pics!!!
    Erik

edited April 26, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, George is the man. I really want to see him win Roubaix. Patch - get yourself to France for that one, AWESOME pics!!!

I would love to go, but it is not going to happen this year. Too bad too, since I should have my 1DmkII by then. Hopefully someday. I do have a good idea how the races operate now so maybe next year I can get some better shots and see more of the race.
    edited April 26, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I would love to go, but it is not going to happen this year. Too bad too, since I should have my 1DmkII by then. Hopefully someday. I do have a good idea how the races operate now so maybe next year I can get some better shots and see more of the race.
    Patch, I think you might be thinking of a differnt race in France... Paris Roubaix (also known as The Hell of the North) is a one day race held in early April. Take a look at Graham Watson's stuff from this year here. Be sure to check out the shot of the TV crew with the F650GS on the deck!
    edited April 26, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Patch, I think you might be thinking of a differnt race in France... Paris Roubaix (also known as The Hell of the North) is a one day race held in early April. Take a look at Graham Watson's stuff from this year here. Be sure to check out the shot of the TV crew with the F650GS on the deck!

You are right, my bad for not reading everything. I was thinking any race in France would be a good one to photograph. Riding and shooting off the back of a motorcycle seems like fun. Hmmmm sounds like and ADVrider Rally challenge. headscratch.gif Now who can I trust? ne_nau.gif
    edited April 26, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Now who can I trust? ne_nau.gif
    I don't know that I'd want to ride on the back of K12RSSteve's bike :D
    edited April 26, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    I don't know that I'd want to ride on the back of K12RSSteve's bike :D

That might make for some interesting photos and lots of good lean angles.
    edited April 26, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    That might make for some interesting photos and lots of good lean angles.

We'd get the fencepost view of the race. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    edited April 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    We'd get the fencepost view of the race. lol3.gif

I wonder if I can punt a thread all the way to Jo Momma?? headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifne_nau.gifumph.gif