780-0629j.jpg

399-0645j.jpg

399-0647j.jpg
Anybody can do it.

Comments

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    I would like to see #1 and #4 brightened up a bit like #5 is. They have a lot of potential there.

#5 and #6 clap.gifclap.gif

Good stuff wfeller thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Thanks for your comments.
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    wfeller

Very nice series of photographs. There is definitely a lot of photo opportunities in Zion.
    I also like 5 & 6clap.gif
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    you snuck into my backyard without memwink.gif how long were you in the area? im guessing more photos to come, right?

i really like #2, good job!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Wow those are lovely.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Zion is very beautiful. I wish I had been able to spend more time there. All I could do was ride the shuttle through the park from top to bottom.

Aaron, you have a beautiful backyard there. We spent 4 days (2 full days) there collecting information for various projects. The Zion day was the coolest of them photo-wise. Zion makes the northeastern-most corner of my Mojave Desert project http://MojaveDesert.NET being (and I was glad to hear this) an ecotone between the Great Basin desert the Grand Escalante Staircase (?) and the Mojave.

Other projects I was able to get information to add to, complete or begin was:

Paleontology - Dinosaur walkway

Geology - The Virgin River is tributary to the Colorado. I studied the formation of the Colorado last summer, so the Virgin will be one of the pieces tying the Great Basin into the Colorado River formation.

Paleo-Indians - The Anastazi culture is an important link between the Pinto culture and the historic Indian cultures of today.

Southern Paiute culture - I have scads of information on the Chemehuevi, which is for whatever reason defined separate from Southern Paiute in most California references. I found quite a bit of info on the bands related to the Chemehuevi living throughout southern Utah and Nevada, all which help me to define the Timbisha Shoshone in Death Valley. It's been a mess for me trying to figure out who knew/ is related to who. I already have information on the Arizona cultures. I'm hoping to wrap them all together by the end of this year.

Old Spanish Trail - I've went out with the museum group in our area searching for undocumented bits of the trail in our area a couple times. The section I have photos on currently ends around stateline between Nevada and California. I'm planning a couple trips into more of the midsection of Nevada to follow it more completely and retrace the route of the Lost 49ers of Death Valley. I think the Mountain Meadows Massacre site is the location with the most impact to start/stop my photo/tours of the trail.

Lots of pretty stuff up there. Lots of photos going in and coming out. Mostly stuff documenting locations for my favorite subject, serial killers of the 1800s through early 1900s. :)

I did -see- Snow Canyon, from the top. Was too dog-tired to do anything about it though. I bought a geoolgy profile and have been kicking myself for not spending a few more hours. Maybe next time? & Thanks for the lead on the BLM center. That made the difference on a busy trip!

Apolgies for being so chatty. Sometimes it's easier writing this stuff up on a forum rather than into my clunky blog interface.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    wow walter, i didnt know you were into it that deep. wow.
    ive touched on many of those subjects and i usually throw my hands up into frustration. its mind boggling to try to figure out cultures, i usually now just stick with geology subjects:D
    it that website all you? amazing, its going to take me some great deal of time to get through it!
    do you know of this group? http://www.ancientamerican.com/
    they have info that may link issues you stated..im not sure.
    anyway that stuff seriously gets me going...

as for serial killers, now you have me wondering about you:D

love to show you snow canyon it is literally 5 minutes from my home...i go there more than anywhere....scouting for photogenic spots...i have a few specific locations i like but i cant seem to get there when the time is right.
    i cant seem to make sunrise and sunset very interesting there, but the hours that cusp are great....moring is really the best time due to the orientation of the canyon...
    you may have seen one of my prints at marcs workshop of snow canyon?
    that shot was from my pre-beginings in photography and it kinda showed...
    one day i will get venus aligned with jupiter and everything will go a it should from that specific location....

as for Zion.....that it a bear to shot...you've done real well in your comps, i have a few scouted out, but again im waiting for the variables to line up for me....ive never been on that shuttle, i usually go out-of-season and can drive anywhere i want...is the shuttle a pain? im guessing it stops at each specific tourist hike for dropoff /pickup right?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2008
    wow walter, i didnt know you were into it that deep. wow.
    ive touched on many of those subjects and i usually throw my hands up into frustration. its mind boggling to try to figure out cultures, i usually now just stick with geology subjects:D
    it that website all you? amazing, its going to take me some great deal of time to get through it!
    do you know of this group? http://www.ancientamerican.com/
    they have info that may link issues you stated..im not sure.
    anyway that stuff seriously gets me going...

as for serial killers, now you have me wondering about you:D

love to show you snow canyon it is literally 5 minutes from my home...i go there more than anywhere....scouting for photogenic spots...i have a few specific locations i like but i cant seem to get there when the time is right.
    i cant seem to make sunrise and sunset very interesting there, but the hours that cusp are great....moring is really the best time due to the orientation of the canyon...
    you may have seen one of my prints at marcs workshop of snow canyon?
    that shot was from my pre-beginings in photography and it kinda showed...
    one day i will get venus aligned with jupiter and everything will go a it should from that specific location....

as for Zion.....that it a bear to shot...you've done real well in your comps, i have a few scouted out, but again im waiting for the variables to line up for me....ive never been on that shuttle, i usually go out-of-season and can drive anywhere i want...is the shuttle a pain? im guessing it stops at each specific tourist hike for dropoff /pickup right?

Thanks for the link Aaron. I'm sure it'll help. I've been working on the sites for about 12 years now. I'll never finish, but I don't mind. I just like learning about it all.

I remember the print of snow canyon. It inspired me to take a peek from the overlook, but man, that place is big. I bought a book on the geology at the BLM office. I've been thumbing through it and kicking myself for being too tired.

The Indian stuff is the most fun for me non-photography-wise. I should have gone into archaeolgy instead of whatever on earth it was I did. If I would have lived 100 years ago, I think I would have liked to have been a bandito.
    ylsuper.gif

Studying Indians though led me to the serial killer thing. That history can be fascinating stuff. Don't worry, I'm harmless. Check it out.

The shuttle in Zion is pretty cool. One of the drivers said that tourists love it and the locals hate it. I understand about access that one is used to being restricted. There's things all around where I live that can't be gotten to anymore at all. The next thing here is El Mirage dry lake will cost $15 a day to get into. We used to drink beer naked out there!!! Can't do that anymore AND now we got to pay?

But the shuttle is nice for me. I load up on water and a little snack, my tripod and a camera with one lens and some tissues and go renegade. No dodging traffic on foot, no aiming for traffic on foot. No fighting for parking spaces, keying cars, bashing into fences or anything else that makes visiting one of our national parks the great American experience that it can be. The shuttles run from before sunrise to 10:45pm. I shot the Grand Canyon at sunrise wholly without aggravation with countless other tourists being there because I rode the first shuttle out. I mean, do you know how uncomfortable it is shooting next to some guy that flipped you off 10 minutes before because you snuck in the exit to the parking lot and stole the parking space in front of him?

BTW, I went by Zzyzx at about 4am and didn't get a chance to search for the lens hood. My buddy hasn't seen it in the lost and found but said he'd probably go look and let me know.

Oh, oh. Dogs jumped the fence--Got to go...
    Anybody can do it.