Ladies HS Soccer

stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 27, 2008 in Sports
Spring soccer has finally finished here in Colorado and our Woodland Park Lady Panthers had a good year. My two daughters are goalies so I end up at just about every varsity and Jr. varsity game taking pictures. Here are a few.

I shot all pictures with a Canon 20D w/ Sigma 70-200 2.8. They've all been cropped and color corrected using Photoshop Elements 6.0.

Let me know what you think.

300999037_3Cz2m-X2.jpg

300999004_ymKxx-XL.jpg

300999014_TVup4-XL.jpg

300999023_2mS5E-X2.jpg

300999031_hcMBZ-XL.jpg

This is my oldest daughter. She is a senior as of two days ago.
300998993_5t3R7-X2.jpg

Under the lights at Dutch Clark Stadium.
300999041_ZjRhP-X2.jpg

300999046_Ht8ac-X2.jpg
To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    nice shots. but only one of one of your daughters? (both my boys play in goal as well...) Good work under the lights as well. I like the "pose" of the player in #5, but pic woulda been so much better if you had her face...

Looks cold in some of those shots and I think I see snow in at least one of the bkgds. Quite the contrast from the 103 my boys were playing in last weekend eek7.gif

btw, welcome to dgrin mwink.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    nice shots. but only one of one of your daughters? (both my boys play in goal as well...) Good work under the lights as well. I like the "pose" of the player in #5, but pic woulda been so much better if you had her face...

Looks cold in some of those shots and I think I see snow in at least one of the bkgds. Quite the contrast from the 103 my boys were playing in last weekend eek7.gif

btw, welcome to dgrin mwink.gif

C.

Thanks.

I have many, many more shots of my girls but I try to be fair. Our defence is so good most of the time that the goalies don't get a lot of touches.

Here's another shot taken in early April. No snow in the background but plenty falling. We had several games postponed due to snow. This was a very cold day and difficult shooting conditions.

301060962_ErCY7-X2.jpg
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
    edited May 25, 2008
    Thanks.

I have many, many more shots of my girls but I try to be fair. Our defence is so good most of the time that the goalies don't get a lot of touches.

nah, it's ok to show off your kids :D But I know what you mean about the lack of keeper photos in teams w/ a good defense. It's even worse when they're on a team that's really strong offensively - then they're stuck down at their goal, all by their lonesome.
    Colleen

• Guido5Guido5 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    Cool Pics...used to live in Colorado Springs and loved it! I'm new to this stuff, how were you able to embed multiple pics to a single post? The one post I did I could only attach a single pic per post? Guess i really am IT challenged. Any help would be appreciated...

Guido5
    edited May 26, 2008
    Guido5 wrote:
    ...how were you able to embed multiple pics to a single post? The one post I did I could only attach a single pic per post?

Guido5

Thanks and Welcome. I have a Smugmug account which allows me to post multiple photos more easily. Somewhere in here is a turorial telling how to do all this stuff. Try this link to start with and see if it helps.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138

David
    edited May 26, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    nah, it's ok to show off your kids :D But I know what you mean about the lack of keeper photos in teams w/ a good defense. It's even worse when they're on a team that's really strong offensively - then they're stuck down at their goal, all by their lonesome.

That is also correct and we have both. A good defence and our offence is coming along nicely. That means I spend most of my time at mid field or at the other teams goal. I have hundreds of great pics of the mid-fielders and forwards. You can see many of these here:

www.stromhammer.smugmug.com

But if I had a longer lens!? I'm shooting with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 which is great most of the time. But if I shoot from mid-field to the goal I end up cropping like crazy and loose a lot of detail and sharpness. I've tried a 2x converter but it makes for soft edges. I noticed you have a Canon 100-400 L. How do you like it and does the f4.5-5.6 give enough depth of field control? I've also been considering the Sigma (Bigma) 50-500 f4-6.3. I'm pleased with my current Sigma lenses and they cost about 30% less than Canon. Any input would be helpful.

David
    edited May 26, 2008
    But if I had a longer lens!? I'm shooting with a Sigma 70-200 2.8 which is great most of the time. But if I shoot from mid-field to the goal I end up cropping like crazy and loose a lot of detail and sharpness. I've tried a 2x converter but it makes for soft edges. I noticed you have a Canon 100-400 L. How do you like it and does the f4.5-5.6 give enough depth of field control? I've also been considering the Sigma (Bigma) 50-500 f4-6.3. I'm pleased with my current Sigma lenses and they cost about 30% less than Canon. Any input would be helpful.

David

David, I generally like my Canon 100-400 L, but am now clammering for better DOF control (I want the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 - even w/ a 1.4x TC, I'd be getting a wider aperature than I get now fully zoomed out). Most of the soccer shots on my smugmug site were done w/ the 100-400, all at the widest aperature. Take a look and see what you think. I still end up cropping, but not as much. Also, I tend to take up a position approx. 1/2 way between the goal line and mid-field, so that helps some.

I've seen some really nice shots of soccer taken w/ the Bigma, but given the often crowded venues I shoot at (they stack fields side-by-side by parking lot and many of the bigger complexes we play at), I think the loss of DOF at max zoom would be too much.

C.
    Colleen

edited May 27, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    David, I generally like my Canon 100-400 L, but am now clammering for better DOF control (I want the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 - even w/ a 1.4x TC, I'd be getting a wider aperature than I get now fully zoomed out). Most of the soccer shots on my smugmug site were done w/ the 100-400, all at the widest aperature. Take a look and see what you think. I still end up cropping, but not as much. Also, I tend to take up a position approx. 1/2 way between the goal line and mid-field, so that helps some.

I've seen some really nice shots of soccer taken w/ the Bigma, but given the often crowded venues I shoot at (they stack fields side-by-side by parking lot and many of the bigger complexes we play at), I think the loss of DOF at max zoom would be too much.

C.

Very good food for thought. I guess the issue is whether the benifits of a longer lens outway the need for a larger aperature. Most high school venues offer more room to move around and therefore better DOF control.

I checked your smugmug galleries and you are getting very good results. I especially like the header shots. I can never seem to catch that brief moment of contact.

Thanks

David