Need some direction please

wompom1wompom1 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Sports
i am shooting my boyz inside bball today. Gym has great lighting and I have been able to get the white balance down, but I am wondering which lens would you suggest.

17-55 2.8 or 50 1.8? and suggestions to the iso and speed would be helpful as well.

point me ol wise ones-:D

many thanks

Comments

• wompom1wompom1 Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    oh and btw....no flash....:D
  • Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    wompom1 wrote:
    oh and btw....no flash....:D

Don't know which body you're using, but if it's a crop body, I'd probably use the 17-55. If the lighting is as good as you're claiming, then 2.8 should be fine.
    Mike
    Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4
    edited May 25, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    Don't know which body you're using, but if it's a crop body, I'd probably use the 17-55. If the lighting is as good as you're claiming, then 2.8 should be fine.

thank you,
    I am using a d200 and am trying to learn taking shots without a flash indoor.
    I got some decent shots (only static) with the 17-55 (see attached and CC please), no flash, but am finding that its hard to stop the action, but I may be doing something wrong.
    Regarding the action shots, If I crank up my iso so that I can stop the action, then it gets rather grainy. So I may try the nifty 50 to see if it will perform better.

I must give Kudos to donek , got my white balance dialed in from the following thread, thanks again donek!
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85666&page=4&highlight=basketball
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    wompom1 wrote:
    I must give Kudos to donek , got my white balance dialed in from the following thread, thanks again donek!
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85666&page=4&highlight=basketball

Your 17-55 is likely to be at 55mm the entire time unless you're trying to get in the entire gym/field. The 50mm is the best bet. It's likely to provide a better image quality.

Which WB technique are you using?

If you're getting noise, there is a lot of good noise software out there. I use Noiseware. I started with the community edition since it's free and upgraded to to the pro edition for batch processing.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
    edited May 26, 2008
    donek wrote:
    Your 17-55 is likely to be at 55mm the entire time unless you're trying to get in the entire gym/field. The 50mm is the best bet. It's likely to provide a better image quality.

Which WB technique are you using?

If you're getting noise, there is a lot of good noise software out there. I use Noiseware. I started with the community edition since it's free and upgraded to to the pro edition for batch processing.

ExpoDisc

I just picked up Noiseware and have been playing with the capabilities.

Donek, thanks for the help, its very much appreciated.thumb.gif
  • bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    I agree with donek. Use the 50mm and try it at f/2.0, 1/500 on shutter speed. It may make you push up the ISO to 1600, but noiseware takes care of that.

You have a good start with the photo you posted. All it needs is a little post-processing. Do you have photoshop? I use photoshop elements, and for now I'm thrilled with it.

Keep shooting and posting! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Betsy
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll
    edited May 28, 2008
    bikingbets wrote:
    I agree with donek. Use the 50mm and try it at f/2.0, 1/500 on shutter speed. It may make you push up the ISO to 1600, but noiseware takes care of that.

You have a good start with the photo you posted. All it needs is a little post-processing. Do you have photoshop? I use photoshop elements, and for now I'm thrilled with it.

Keep shooting and posting! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Betsy

Betsy,
    I do have photoshop, cs3 still learning how to use it. I will try the 50 and start with the settings you and Donek suggested and go from there.
    Thank you very much.
    W