Options

Help please

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited May 29, 2008 in Finishing School
Here is one of my photos taken yesterday... can someone help me get rid of the shinny spots on her head? I tried working with it in light room and have fixed some things, but can't get rid of the shine....

_5246591.jpg
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Katie...this is better...but trust me when I say ...shooting with the sun to YOUR back is not going to solve anything. You will always have blown out spots, and or "shiny areas" around your subject's face. You also had your aperture somewhat wide open.

I like that you did spot meter your subject. Good job.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2008
    Here is my attempt.

NEW.jpg
  • Options
    gabrielzimagesgabrielzimages Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2008
    Here you go. I did a few other subtle changes to enhance it a bit.
    It looks like the light was coming from directly above. In bright daylight its really best to shoot the model in shade and use a flash diffuser, but of course its not always practical or possible. Although if it was cloudy or in the shadow of a cloud that would work well too. Or you can just touch it up of course :)

I also enlarged it quite a bit for you. Even larger than seen here (1306x1741). Here is the link to the original size so you can have a copy of it if you wish: http://gabrielzimages.smugmug.com/gallery/5018411_quvxu#301176831_bBfRP-O-LB
    301176831_bBfRP-X3-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2008
    Thank you both so much... may I ask what you did to make her look different? And what program?

The reason for time of day is she is so busy that 12:00 has been the best time for her. So I used my reflectors to help out. The sun was right above me, and no clouds at all. But I am happy with them, I did the best I could for not having flash.

Really, THANKS:ivar
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2008
    My attempt was a glamour glow plug-in. But you have to buy this effect.
  • Options
    AzuriteAzurite Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    I, myself, have been trying like mad to improve skin shine without plug-ins. I can see "gabriellezimages" brightened the whites of your model's eyes and enhanced catch lights (which I use the dodge tool) --nice touch.

As for skin, a lot of folks recommend the "healing" tool in Photoshop, but I can't get good control over that one. Same problem with cloning... ends up cartooney for me.

Here's what I've tried.... I select the face with the lasso tool. Make sure to DESELECT eyes and teeth. Then overall soften the skin with the blur tool -- mildly (maybe 2 or 3 pixels). Then I pick an area on the face that has correct/normal coloring by using the color sampler tool (shared with the eyedropper tool in PS). Once I have the RGB and CMYK numbers that make up that color selection, then I add that specific color to my color palette. Next I go for the diffuse glow filter (under Filters - Distort). So I "diffuse glow" a normal skin tone OVER the highlights (or shine) to fill it in. It works ok for me. Just got to be careful about picking a good skin tone with the color sampler.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2008
    Azurite wrote:
    I, myself, have been trying like mad to improve skin shine without plug-ins. I can see "gabriellezimages" brightened the whites of your model's eyes and enhanced catch lights (which I use the dodge tool) --nice touch.

As for skin, a lot of folks recommend the "healing" tool in Photoshop, but I can't get good control over that one. Same problem with cloning... ends up cartooney for me.

Here's what I've tried.... I select the face with the lasso tool. Make sure to DESELECT eyes and teeth. Then overall soften the skin with the blur tool -- mildly (maybe 2 or 3 pixels). Then I pick an area on the face that has correct/normal coloring by using the color sampler tool (shared with the eyedropper tool in PS). Once I have the RGB and CMYK numbers that make up that color selection, then I add that specific color to my color palette. Next I go for the diffuse glow filter (under Filters - Distort). So I "diffuse glow" a normal skin tone OVER the highlights (or shine) to fill it in. It works ok for me. Just got to be careful about picking a good skin tone with the color sampler.

You don't have to deselect anything just make sure and use the eraser once you have Glaussian Blurred the face. Send me an image and I'll correct it for you and show you what I did. It's really simple.
  • Options
    gabrielzimagesgabrielzimages Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2008
    I used Photoshop 7. No plug-ins, just a bit of snail-paced touch-up.
  • Options
    super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    I used Photoshop 7. No plug-ins, just a bit of snail-paced touch-up.

Ok, thanks for the clarification
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    You don't have to deselect anything just make sure and use the eraser once you have Glaussian Blurred the face. Send me an image and I'll correct it for you and show you what I did. It's really simple.

Thanks for the info... but I'm confused.... the Gaussian blur works well for softening the skin.... but do you use that tool to take away big shine spots too? That hasn't worked for me.

For example, KTBoom has second set of senior photos posted to another thread. And # 5 is a gorgeous one, I love how the blurred trees and flowers frame her face. But there are 2 areas on the face where sunlight poked through and blew out the color. I can't see how the Gaussian blur would help that.

And cloning or healing tool end up taking away the texture of her skin..... those tools make her skin look too touched up. I'm attaching a comparison of the original look plus my attempt to take the shine off her left cheek. And it looks overdone - it doens't match her right cheek ... I can't even get the nose to look anything like normal. What would you do to fix this, otherwise, nice photo? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Azurite wrote:
    Thanks for the info... but I'm confused.... the Gaussian blur works well for softening the skin.... but do you use that tool to take away big shine spots too? That hasn't worked for me.

For example, KTBoom has second set of senior photos posted to another thread. And # 5 is a gorgeous one, I love how the blurred trees and flowers frame her face. But there are 2 areas on the face where sunlight poked through and blew out the color. I can't see how the Gaussian blur would help that.

And cloning or healing tool end up taking away the texture of her skin..... those tools make her skin look too touched up. I'm attaching a comparison of the original look plus my attempt to take the shine off her left cheek. And it looks overdone - it doens't match her right cheek ... I can't even get the nose to look anything like normal. What would you do to fix this, otherwise, nice photo? headscratch.gif

Here was my final

_5246743-2.jpg

The client was very happy with it, I know it could be better. But that is how I left it.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II