Goodbye Cowboy

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited May 14, 2009 in People
...I attended a funeral today for the father of a close friend. He was a true cattleman and cowboy. When I glimpsed the casket that they had handbuilt for him I immediately thought that it should be photographed. I had not brought a camera, but when I made my way up front to greet my friend he said he was about to call me and tell me to bring a camera if I had not already left home. I told him I'd be right back.

It was a moving service, especially when the cattle calls began from the north, south, east, and west. It was unlike any other funeral I have ever attended. I am glad that I was able to take the time to go....and flattered that he trusted me to photograph his fathers funeral.

The casket is handbuilt from native cypress. The markings are burned -in with family branding irons. It was obvious to me that much love and consideration went into the entire funeral.

Goodbye Cowboy...

301292270_yNQHr-M.jpg

301295818_jr3KY-M.jpg

301297164_vsBaM-M.jpg

301298691_AMKWQ-M.jpg

301299570_YV5zG-M.jpg

301301093_LSoDN-M.jpg

301303344_jSLcv-M.jpg

301305474_N47q6-M.jpg

301307071_JPVH9-M.jpg

301289472_YQcAa-M.jpg

301289121_qLTip-M.jpg

Comments

• ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    You are right ... much love and thought went into that. They sure did a wonderful job of setting it all up. You covered the moment well. After looking at all the toned photos it was sort of a shock when the color photo came up. The toned images really seem to fit the moment better. Good job.
    LadyTX
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    You are right ... much love and thought went into that. They sure did a wonderful job of setting it all up. You covered the moment well. After looking at all the toned photos it was sort of a shock when the color photo came up. The toned images really seem to fit the moment better. Good job.

Thanks, and you are right about the color image....I am taking it down.

Thank you.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Such a great series. You really captured it well. I also love the colouring you used.

Thanks for sharing.

-- Lisa P.
    edited May 25, 2008
    lisap wrote:
    Such a great series. You really captured it well. I also love the colouring you used.

Thanks for sharing.

-- Lisa P.

Thanks Lisa,

It was a pleasure to do these for him.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Exceptional images!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    WOW, Jeff. Well captured. I am sure the family will be very happy to have these photos!
  • AzuriteAzurite Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    Really great stuff! I always feel awkward taking photos at a funeral ... is that a common feeling for most? It seems like most people don't want to re-live sorrow through photographs... but personally I'm the opposite.... I want to remember every moment. Is there some sort of courtesy you ask for before you shoot? How do you avoid scruntiny from hurting hearts?
  • tamplumtamplum Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    A touching tribute to an obviously amazing man. Good job.
    **Taking the moments one shot at a time**
    ~Working with my Nikon D80~
    <My dream is to be the kind of mother, my kids already think I am>
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    Very moving images. Well done photography. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Michael
    Michael
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    Wonderful tribute - the B&W toned images were perfect for the occasion. My favorite is #10 - it speaks volumes to me of the emotions that must have been present. I'm sure the family will appreciate your work.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
    Incredibly moving and beautiful photos. You did a stunning job!
    edited May 26, 2008
    Thanks for all of you who have commented. The family has not seen these images yet, but soon will. I must say that I got plenty of sideways glances when I snuck into the service late with a double armload of camera gear. A few folks even asked who I was and what I was up to. After seeing that I was not there to dig into their grief they seemed to be more welcoming. My close friend of course who asked this of me...as well as his family... just told me to take the time I needed to do what I thought best. Tenderness...and respect...I hope pour through the images more than the awkwardness that I felt. There are few faces in the images, as I didn't want to pry into their sorrow. Instead I tried to let the photos be more artistic in nature...rather than candids or portraits. Thanks again for the kind comments.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    i really dig #1 and #4. #8 is my favorite, i love the angle
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Tastefully done
    Jeff,

You captured a delicate moment perfectly - a wonderful tribute, not done easily. I like the way you allowed people to grieve without invading their personal space. The tone of the images are fitting too. Hats off to you.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    edited May 28, 2008
    Thanks again for all of the positive comments. Today, I called my friends wife at work and told her what she needed to do to view the images. I asked her that if there was a single one that she thought might rub someone wrong to let me know and I would delete it from the gallery. My main concern was for her children. She called back, and gave me the finest string of compliments I have ever had. I am SOOOOO relieved!

During the call I explained to her about how beautiful and peaceful my grandmother's funeral was a few months ago and that I was just sick that I had not brought my camera. I wished now that I had it even more than I did on that day.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Jeff,

I just got asked to shoot a friends daughter's funeral. these are incredible. good work.

Josh
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Very nice and tasteful work here Jeff!! I think the family will be very happy with your photographs!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Thank you for sharing this, what a tribute. It was a pleasure to witness the lifestyle and love in attendance.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2009
    Beautiful, Jeff, just beautiful. These images convey a sense of love and respect those in attendance must have felt for the gentleman. Very dignified.

Caroline
    edited May 14, 2009
    Something special that I later learned...

The ropes...of course were use by pallbearers to carry the casket. Being cattlemen themselves, the brand above each rope is the brand that belongs to the man who attended that rope.

They really put a LOT of thought....and love...into this funeral.