Options

Dull images

starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited June 1, 2008 in Technique
All of my photos are coming out looking very dull with no bright colors. I am able to fix all of that using photoshop, but I was just wondering if this was supposed to happen or if my equipment might be to blame. The images appear to just be grayish and dull with no pop to them at all.

My equipment is as follows:

canon xti
tamron 18-200
canon 75-300

I know if would help to post a picture of what my photos look like but I'm not on my computer right now and won't be for a while. If anyone has any ideas to help me out that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2008
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 26, 2008
    DSLR's factory default settings usually provide lower contrast, less saturated colors to allow capturing the more subtle details of an image. The standard image from a 1DsMkll looks very soft, and flat, but it will provide a very punchy file if set up right. So can the xTi.

Going into the setup menu of the camera will usually allow one to increase the contrast and color saturation choices.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    If the Xti has "picture styles", check that setting. "Neutral" and "Faithful" will look flatter/duller than "standard" which I think is more the characteristic punchy saturated Canon look.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Options
    starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    thanks everyone. i've been outta town and just got back. ill check these suggestions out and see if that works. if not ill try and post a picture of what mine look like. thanks