Options

Ankara in February....

Masonlaw1Masonlaw1 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Journeys
Here are some more shots of my trip to Turkey. This first one is of a Turkish merchant, his shop is at the base of the original Castle that was the settlement that became Ankara. It's a residential area with shops and restaurants and at the top the ruins of this castle built in the 13th Century, give or take. He allowed me to take his picture and then we haggled over some merchandise. My Turkish friend told me he was being stubborn and we could buy cheaper elsewhere, and we did! :dunno

275613402_uEUbP-L.jpg

This little girl was selling trinkets inside the ruins. She was so photogenic and I don't feel like I did her justice but I'm still learning digital. Everything was so colorful compared to the city and the landscape, which is brown and drab and dusty.
275611199_GjF5P-L.jpg

On the way out of the castle there was this great market. Just stall after stall of fresh fruits, grains and nuts. When I motioned to this gentleman asking to take his picture, he stopped scooping and posed for me. I wish the white sign didn't split his head but it happened so quick I didn't want to reposition.

274360066_W4fNU-L.jpg

And finally, during our visit, the Turks were having a constitutional crisis involving head scarves in government buildings. Many Turks believe in a secular government even though the country is 99% Muslim. They are incredibly patriotic and during our visit there were a number of large rallies protesting the rule allowing head scarves in government workspaces. This gentleman was taking his load of flags to Ataturk's Mausoleum for one of the rallies.

257440803_7GH5o-L.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. C&C always welcome especially in the post-processing relm, that's one of my weak spots. Damn computers! :D

Comments