Options

Help with large group shot

tryin'tryin' Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 27, 2008 in Technique
I may have an opportunity to shoot portraits at an event in a month's time.

As part of this opportunity, I have been asked to take a group shot too.

I do not know how best to word my question to sound 'pc' ... so here goes ...

I estimate there will be about 200 people - 50% adults, 50% children. Since this is a special interest group of families who have adopted children from Ethiopia, some people have white or light colored faces ... while others have darker faces to some who have really black skin.

This will be an outside photograph unless the weather is really bad. I think I can handle positioning with smaller children at the front on the floor, others kneeling behind and adults positioned either sitting or standing behind - 4 levels.

For equipment I use a Canon 40d. Have a 430ex speedlight flash and have Gary Fong diffusers - cloud, metallic and gold. I also have 2 disk reflectors which are 36" round - gold on one side and white on the other. I have no stands for them and would appreciate recommendations.

My question::scratch
How can I best shoot this group to get good definition in the faces without over exposing the light faces or under exposing the darker faces? I am really worried I will end up with unreadable white or dark faces. Clearly it would be next to impossible to light the entire group (especially outside).

I was lucky enough to shoot one of these families yesterday (hence the opportunity to work with the entire group). If you would like to take a look (and comment on) please go to www.suebrucephotography.com and select the clients gallery. Select the Katz family (password is jo2008).

I am just starting out in business and am very cautious. I am over critical of my own work which has stopped me starting a business for a few years!! Finally I took the plunge with SmugMug's help!!

Advice and comments much appreciated ... I appreciate honesty very much ... but if you really think I'm C**P, can you say it nicely!!

Sue

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,901 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    tryin' wrote:

This will be an outside photograph unless the weather is really bad. I think I can handle positioning with smaller children at the front on the floor, others kneeling behind and adults positioned either sitting or standing behind - 4 levels.

For equipment I use a Canon 40d. Have a 430ex speedlight flash and have Gary Fong diffusers - cloud, metallic and gold. I also have 2 disk reflectors which are 36" round - gold on one side and white on the other. I have no stands for them and would appreciate recommendations.

My question:headscratch.gif
    How can I best shoot this group to get good definition in the faces without over exposing the light faces or under exposing the darker faces?...

Sue,

You are handling this correctly. Your attention to the problems now will avoid a (potentially) bigger problem later.

I suggest that since you have the Canon 40D that the "Highlight Tone Priority" (HTP) mode would come in handy for this situation. By itself it will not solve the problem, but it should add about 1 stop of usable latitude. The other part of the solution is lighting.

Shoot in RAW of course.

When you say, "Clearly it would be next to impossible to light the entire group (especially outside)", that is not entirely accurate. Reflectors, even natural reflectors, can be used to fill in otherwise unsuitable shadow areas.

Very soft, flat lighting is probably your best bet since the tonal ranges in hard light, even with HTP, will almost certainly be beyond the latitude of the camera.

If you can find an "open shade" opportunity that might be a good start. Position the group under an overhang of some sort for instance. If you have a moderately overcast day that can give you pretty good results, as far as shadows.

Fill can come from a large reflector which can be a white table cover, for instance. Think big and white. If you use a white plastic table cover, reinforce it with some strips of clear plastic package sealing tape. Have some volunteers standing on ladders hold it, if it's not a windy day. You need it up fairly high if possible. Otherwise use what's available.

You might be able to find an outdoor wedding site with a white tent already set up that might even donate their site for a worthy cause.

Indoors you will also have problems, of a different sort. Indoor lighting is often not suitable and I doubt if a single flash is going to help much.

I suggest renting, if possible, some studio flash and umbrellas for an indoor setting. Think "wall of light" high and just behind the camera to eliminate most of the shadow conflicts from the participants. You will want the shadows to fall from the people in the foreground at least below the heads of the people behind, so figure out the angles required depending on how you position the group.

If you have to use ambient light, test first for suitability but consider shooting for B&W processing in post.

Placing that many people would normally call for bleachers or stands, but if "you" can get up high you might be able to use that instead.

Maybe use Andy's shot here for inspiration:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=481773&postcount=2

I'm kind of just throwing ideas because I don't know your project requirements, but this should get you thinking and, maybe, planning.

Feel free to ask additional questions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums