My sister at graduation - C&C please!

Big MikeBig Mike Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited May 28, 2008 in People
Here is a picture my sister asked me to take at her graduation. I was more or less trying to get my exposure right and I have been practicing with the settings so I can try and get the whole subject in focus while blurring the background to help center the picture on the subject.

Let me know how I did on this one and what I should do better!

IMG_2883.jpg

Comments

• JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Hi Mike, I think you accomplished what you were trying to do. I would crop the top of the photo and then work on the skin tones to give it some pop.

Congrats to your sister!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    I second it....with javalover and also...try to control on exposture..which is bit high in the corner of face on right side... nice focus.. well done.

-Super star:davidto
  • Big MikeBig Mike Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    JavaLover wrote:
    Hi Mike, I think you accomplished what you were trying to do. I would crop the top of the photo and then work on the skin tones to give it some pop.

Congrats to your sister!

Is that something I should have been able to do with the exposure, or is that something that generally has to be done in post processing?
  • super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Big Mike wrote:
    Is that something I should have been able to do with the exposure, or is that something that generally has to be done in post processing?

You can use diffusers.. or you can also use photo editing software to...remove..
  • Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    super star wrote:
    You can use diffusers.. or you can also use photo editing software to...remove..

The picture is great!! I am sure your sister will enjoy it for many years to come. It appears that her face is picking up some of the green from the 'sash' or whatever it is called that is drapped around her neck.

Simple color correction of moving the Green/ Magenta slider in photoshop will accomplish the necessary slight correction needed.

A happy girl with a very happy face..! perfect is my score. You accomplished what you set out to do. which was produce a striking memory of an important event.

I have yet to see a photograph on any forum that is "perfect" someone always goes right past the subject to focus on something that is minor!

The whole image of her. is what is important.. it conveys a feeling of a proud graduate ! Mission accomplished you did a great job !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Well first of all congratulations to your sister. Ok a couple of things I see wrong here...

1. Either she is leaning or you don't have the camera straight. It's at an angle - looks a tad awkward...unless your intentions were to frame the image like this.
    2. There is a huge blown out spot on her face from the sun. You have 95% of her in the shade...why have that sun spot?
    3. Nitpick comment: Look at the whole image before you click that shutter - the 2008 jewerly piece is turned the other direction, and part of her pearls are showing. Again these are nitpick comments.

4. There was no exif data attached to this image - care to share?
    5. WB looks a tad on the yellow side...but it could be my monitor - it hasn't been calibrated in so long!

Once again...congratulations to your sister.
    edited May 27, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Well first of all congratulations to your sister. Ok a couple of things I see wrong here...

1. Either she is leaning or you don't have the camera straight. It's at an angle - looks a tad awkward...unless your intentions were to frame the image like this.
    2. There is a huge blown out spot on her face from the sun. You have 95% of her in the shade...why have that sun spot?
    3. Nitpick comment: Look at the whole image before you click that shutter - the 2008 jewerly piece is turned the other direction, and part of her pearls are showing. Again these are nitpick comments.

4. There was no exif data attached to this image - care to share?
    5. WB looks a tad on the yellow side...but it could be my monitor - it hasn't been calibrated in so long!

Once again...congratulations to your sister.

Thanks for the comments.

I probably framed it crooked on purpose for some reason ne_nau.gif

I noticed the blown out spot on her face. I am still learning to pay attention to everything before I take the picture, but there is so much to pay attention to!

What is the best way to get the exif data?

I don't see a yellowish white balance, but being that I am new to all of this I could miss it just like other things :D

Again, thanks!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Hi Mike,

Forgive me for taking the liberty to work on your sis's photo but wanted to provide a visual example of what Seneca was speaking of. This edit addresses those issues of color balance, blown out facial features, orientation of frame, etc. I also did some other work as in whitening teeth, eyes, a slight amount of skin treatment, highlights/shadows...it takes me more time to write about it than do it...so....hope you don't mind.

There are many things to think of before you push the shutter button....you've got it....eventually, many of those things will become second nature but it will take dilligence. Not only do you have to learn "how" to make a photo with the camera but also understand some post processing. Yes, we all try to get everything perfect in camera....well we don't live in a perfect world :D

Here's your sis:

302683677_NAyQ3-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited May 28, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Mike,

Forgive me for taking the liberty to work on your sis's photo but wanted to provide a visual example of what Seneca was speaking of. This edit addresses those issues of color balance, blown out facial features, orientation of frame, etc. I also did some other work as in whitening teeth, eyes, a slight amount of skin treatment, highlights/shadows...it takes me more time to write about it than do it...so....hope you don't mind.

There are many things to think of before you push the shutter button....you've got it....eventually, many of those things will become second nature but it will take dilligence. Not only do you have to learn "how" to make a photo with the camera but also understand some post processing. Yes, we all try to get everything perfect in camera....well we don't live in a perfect world :D

Here's your sis:

302683677_NAyQ3-XL.jpg

Very cool! The next step is for me to learn how to do that with my photos. I know how to do some things, but like taking the picture, there are so many things that can be changed and adjusted.
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Mike,

Here's your sis:

You neglected to turn the medallion on her hat around. wings.gifbarb
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Majik ImajeMajik Imaje Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Well I just gotta add my two cents. !! (again) !!
    We create an image once. then process it and adjust it and do all those 'things' that are necessary to adjust. This is fun !

but the best part is when you can sell that image over and over and over for years. that is the best part of photography. Marketing is an art that most people never venture into. Its a lot of work but the results are amazing.

I just love that smile on a happy woman in a happy time at the end of a long road to graduation; the positive aspect of this photo is amazing. All nitpicking aside, can't compare to the feeling this photo invokes. This photo tells a wonderful story .. .. that's what I am focused on. Brushing her teeth in a photo ? ROFLMAO !! Well, I guess that would really make it a " DIGITAL GRIN" !!
    A blog of ICE
    ALL PHOTOS
    NEW ARCTIC FORUM

working around the clock to restore lost 'forum' & all photos