Replacing my Camera Body

dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited May 31, 2008 in Cameras
I'm looking to replace my current camera in the next 3 months or so and am looking for some advice.

I currently have a Digital Rebel XT, EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM Lens, EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens, and a flash (430EX). I'm pretty happy with the lenses (I'll be looking to add a telephoto this summer as well) but I'm ready to upgrade my back.

I'm considering three options:

1) Canon Digital Rebel XSi
2) Canon 40D
3) Canon 5D (current version)

Any recommendations amongst those three? I've read alot that says the 30D/40D/5D are a big upgrade from the Rebels, so I'm unlikely to end up with option (1). Are there likely new models I should be waiting for before this upgrade?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 27, 2008
    What sort of photography do you do?

What is causing you to think about upgrading? Limitations?

You mention 2 crop bodies and one FF body. What is your interest in FF?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dladla Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Mostly urban landscape/portrait type of work, some night photography, but I'm really looking for the best all-around camera.

I'm mainly upgrading because my wife would like an entry level dSLR, and rather than get another Rebel I thought I'd go ahead and do the upgrade I was thinking of doing in a years time anyway. I'm looking for an image quality upgrade (especially night shooting), larger/sturdier body would be nice (the Rebel feels tiny in my hands), better UI (ISO, AF Mode are a pain to get to) and something I wont grow out of in just a couple of years.

I mention the FF 5D, but I'm not sure I fully understand the practical impact of the FF sensor (aside from removing the crop factor my rebel has).

My basic goal is to get a camera I'll be happy with for the foreseeable future and won't feel like I need to replace in a year or two.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What sort of photography do you do?

What is causing you to think about upgrading? Limitations?

You mention 2 crop bodies and one FF body. What is your interest in FF?
    edited May 27, 2008
    The 5D advantages center around the larger chip size and reasonable pixel density. The 5D has relatively low noise even at high ISO. The larger chip allows reduced DOF at large apertures compared to the smaller imagers and it also requires less absolute resolution from lenses to obtain sharp images at a given printed size.

The Canon 40D has increased pixel density over the previous xxD cameras and that does tend to increase visible noise at high ISO unless you turn on the high ISO noise reduction. WIth the high ISO noise reduction turned on, noise is not really a problem although the shot duffer is affected and reduced in capacity.

With the high ISO noise reduction turned on the 5D is not that much better than the 40D and both can be improved further in software, depending on your needs. The 5D still seems to enjoy a "fullness" to the image at high ISO that the 40D lacks. (I know that's not very descriptive.)

The 40D is overall much more responsive and, I believe, has a better autofocus section (although that has been contested).

You would not be able to use EF-S lenses on any of the FF Canon cameras, including the 5D. That means your EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM would be limited to the XT.
    ziggy53
    edited May 27, 2008
    I did realize that my EF-S lens would need to be replaced... it's a decent lens too, so i would have to be gaining a lot to want to replace it.

I'm thinking that the 40D is my best bet in that I get to keep my EF-S lenses, get a significant increase in quality (build quality and image quality and AF performance), and it's reasonably priced.

I'm guessing I wouldn't see enough improvement with the new Rebel to justify the replacement cost.

That being said, the 40D is almost a year old... is it likely to be replaced this summer?
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    dla wrote:

That being said, the 40D is almost a year old... is it likely to be replaced this summer?

Nope! They do not replace models for this range of cameras thaat fast!

The 40D is a very capable camera! Even if it is replaced in 3 years time!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nope! They do not replace models for this range of cameras thaat fast!

The 40D is a very capable camera! Even if it is replaced in 3 years time!

18 months is the typical prosumer life cycle for Canon. You still have plenty of time.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    5D would probably serve you best if you are thinking portrait, night/low light, and image quality is your upmost concern.

However, I'm not sure that the benefits outweight the extras cost of almost $1000 over a 40D.

I personally think that the 40D offers the best bang for the bucks and would recommend it. It's relatively new, has a much better build feel/quality than the rebels and won't cost an arm and a leg. Plus, you can continue to use the 17-85 which you currently have and enjoy using.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    My view is that you need to decide what you are looking for: if you want the highest possible quality image, and are really into landscape, and don't mind spending top dollar, many say the 5D is the way to go.

Among the three, it is the biggest 'upgrade', and the most expensive.

Now, for choosing between the XSi and the 40D. I just moved the to the 40D. If you are expecting better images, then do not move. You won't really get them. The sensor is basically equivalent among XT, XSi and 40D. YES, I know they are different, but I challenge you to see the difference. I cant tell a shot done with my XT or my 40D. However, the biggest difference in the cameras is how they handle (controls, shooting, etc) and how you can customize it. The XT and XSi offer basic handling, and little customization. The 40D is far more geared to shooting, and customizations are far more in depth and detailed. If you havent run into situations where you understand the benefit of some of these options, I am not sure the 40D is right. However, if you shoot often in Manual mode, have specific sets of settings that you prefer depending on shooting situation, or need faster frames per second, or appreciate a bigger viewfinder, then the 40D is right for you.

The 40D is far superior to the XT in terms of controls and handling during a shoot. With the XT I left my camera in Tv or Av. Manual was terribly frustrating, with multiple button pushes and turns of the wheel. But with the 40D, I just did a 3 hour shoot, all in Manual, and I didnt pause for a second to adjust settings: on the 40D, the wheel and quick dial control speed and aperature, and I just focused on exposure and composition. The camera did not get in the way. I felt the XT was getting in my way.

My advice is that when you come to a point that the camera is getting in your way or its handling is frustrating, it makes sense to switch. If you are still trying to remember the difference between Tv and Av or what FEC means, it would probably be best to stand pat.

Thats just my opinion.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I shoot with both the 40D and the 5D and for sure the 5D is a better camera (but I love wide angle shots and the 16-35 just doesn't look that good on the 40D). I also shoot with a 1D IIN and for me, that's a better camera than the 40D too. Anyway, the weird thing about the 5D is it's slow, it sounds clunky, it looks small, and despite all that-- it delivers fantastic results!

But... reading through this thread, I agree, the 40D might be better for YOU. It's a decent camera and the price is decent too (considering the price of DSLR's anyway).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 29, 2008
    Thank you all for the input... after weighing everything carefully, I've decided to go with the 40D and pick up a lens or two with the difference.

At my favorite camera store (Calumet Photo in Cambridge, MA... not that they need the plug) it was $940, which is a steal. I already love the camera over the Rebel, and while the sensor might not be a big improvement the viewfinder, build quality, and the ease of changing basic functions is a great help. I'll be digging into all of the customizations this weekend.

Anyway, thank you all so much.
    edited May 29, 2008
    Congratulations. clap.gif

The Canon 40D is a great camera and the XT/350D will continue to complement it with compatibility in lenses and flashes and memory.

Please do keep us informed of your progress and share some images. That's how we grow as a community and as photographers.
    ziggy53
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Hi - I am having the same decision to make...
    40D vs. XSi
    Therefore, after reading all of this information, I am going with the
    40D.
    Thank you for great information - jerryr
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    As a brand new 450D/XSi owner, I have to say that this new camera body may be getting a little short shrift here. Check out the review at dpreview.com The XSi is a bigger jump up from the XT than one might expect, and actually borrows alot of its features from the 40D. The UI is sweet, and the build quality is excellent, about as bomb proof as plastic construction can be. See my sig for Canon's XSi site.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    nvm.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    nvm.
    ? ne_nau.gif
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Have fun with that spiffy new camera!!! Just don't forget to post some fantastic imagery you take with it!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com