a few mountain bike images from this past weekend.

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Sports
I generally don't post many images on DGrin, but thought I might share a few from this past weekends race.

Race was held in Montchanin Delaware which is just outside of Wilmington Delaware - on one of the Dupont Estates - thousands of acres of wooded/fielded land.

I am currently running a slide show of 65+ images from this race on my home page for additional viewing.

301259352_ZJigy-L.jpg

301260049_TPMms-L.jpg

301258821_pqXK3-L.jpg

301258000_hJVc8-L.jpg

301255067_m4vGk-L.jpg

301253510_i7ehP-L.jpg

301254624_A7j66-L.jpg

301255478_36PVr-L.jpg

301256188_ow2jL-L.jpg

301254092_mmoDg-L.jpg

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Excellent shots. I'm assuming these photos are for sale. I'm curious, do you have good luck selling photos like this? I do some off road dirt bike stuff and I find the photos that sell, are traditional high shutter speed frozen in time shots. The photos that I like best, similiar to your's, don't sell well for me.

301259352_ZJigy-L.jpg
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    These are great.

Can you tell us anything about your off camera flash setup in the woods. Those are fantastic.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    donek wrote:
    These are great.

Can you tell us anything about your off camera flash setup in the woods. Those are fantastic.

Here are 2 shots taken of my strobe setups (3 Nikon SB800's)
    Sales.....are ok, but I do much better with Road Racing then Mountain Bike Races - This race is put on by my team and it's only 15 minuts from my house so I like to shoot it for those reasons - but this year I am shooting more road racing.

Michael

301257423_tGZUz-M.jpg

301256737_iHNWE-M.jpg
    edited May 28, 2008
    Are you using Nikons CLS or radio triggers?
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

edited May 28, 2008
    Radio triggers
    donek wrote:
    Are you using Nikons CLS or radio triggers?

I would prefer to use Nikon CLS, but am forced to use radio triggers (the inexpensive one on ebay). CLS is very unreliable since I often will have one strobe off to the side and behind me a bit.

Michael
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Those panning shots with strobes that freeze the subject are great.
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Those mountain bike racers are fools then, because you're just not going to get that kind of quality photo, from the average race photog. (I can say this, because I'm an average photog and I used to race both road and mountain bikes) :D
    edited May 28, 2008
    I would prefer to use Nikon CLS, but am forced to use radio triggers (the inexpensive one on ebay). CLS is very unreliable since I often will have one strobe off to the side and behind me a bit.

Michael

I have recently purchased the same equipment. I now have 3 SB-800s and Cactus triggers. CLS seems to work in small enclosed spaces, but I've had little luck outdoors or in a gym. I have been unable to sinc the flash faster than 1/250 with the cactus triggers though. Have you had similar issues?

I got the setup to use in a gym, but the more I read, the more I see other applications.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 28, 2008
    I'm guessing you're using second curtain for the flash as well?

These are very nice indeed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Gorgeous work, Michael. Totally first-class, professional work.

How much time do you spend on the post-processing of some of these? You've done something like what I'd call the "300 look" on a couple of these--sorta high-contrast low-saturation gritty and shiny and very cool.
    edited May 30, 2008
    Correct....
    Fastes sync is 1/250 - which when panning and using strobes its no big deal as I'm shooting around 1/80 f/10 ir so.

Michael
    donek wrote:
    I have recently purchased the same equipment. I now have 3 SB-800s and Cactus triggers. CLS seems to work in small enclosed spaces, but I've had little luck outdoors or in a gym. I have been unable to sinc the flash faster than 1/250 with the cactus triggers though. Have you had similar issues?

I got the setup to use in a gym, but the more I read, the more I see other applications.
    edited May 30, 2008
    yes
    correct - using 2nd curtain sync.

Michael

ian408 wrote:
    I'm guessing you're using second curtain for the flash as well?

These are very nice indeed.
    edited May 30, 2008
    Not much time....
    I'm usually processing 1000+ or so images so all I do is import into Lightroom and make some minor tweaks in exposure.
    The images you are talking about are the "Dave Hill" look and I have a Lightroom Preset that I use (could not live without Lightroom) - one click , make a few adjustments for taste and move on.

Michael

PeterLyons wrote:
    Gorgeous work, Michael. Totally first-class, professional work.

How much time do you spend on the post-processing of some of these? You've done something like what I'd call the "300 look" on a couple of these--sorta high-contrast low-saturation gritty and shiny and very cool.
  • PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I'm usually processing 1000+ or so images so all I do is import into Lightroom and make some minor tweaks in exposure.
    The images you are talking about are the "Dave Hill" look and I have a Lightroom Preset that I use (could not live without Lightroom) - one click , make a few adjustments for taste and move on.

Michael

Cool--thanks, I'll check that out.
    I couldn't live without Lightroom either!
  • toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Extremely good panning flash shots, with that lovely green background. Super.

I like the one of the guy cycling through the flowery meadow as well - nice job there.