Brooke and Jaime - and Ruffy

rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
edited May 29, 2008 in People
C&C welcome

I came across these 3 this afternoon while I was out buying pet food. I drove home, grabbed my camera and made my way back to the spot where I had seen them.

When I got there, it was raining hard so I sat in my car for about 20 minutes waiting for the rain to let up. When it started drizzling, I walked out to where they were standing and introduced myself. We talked for about 5 minutes before I asked if I could take some pictures of them and pulled out two $5 dollar bills - the immediate response was yes, as I figured it would be, and so as I asked them some more questions, I just started snapping away.

Brooke is from St. Petersburg, FL. She has been on the streets for about a year and is making her way to Chicago...I didn't ask why. She's been in Richmond for about a week and she lives downtown under a bush. She told me she won't hitch hike anymore ever since a man drove her to a motel and attempted to rape her. She ended up getting away without being harmed and vowed to never hitch hike again. Now she travels by foot or by train hopping.

DSC_1810.jpg

DSC_1822.jpg

DSC_1757.jpg

DSC_1737.jpg

This is Jaime. He's been on the streets for about a year and is from Columbia, SC. He is making his way to NY where he has some family he plans to stay with. He was one of the most genuine and kindest people I've met and seemed to have an almost child-like demeanor about him. He smiled when I pointed my camera at him for the first time as though it was all the attention he's gotten from a stranger in a long time - but he quickly pulled his lips back, hiding the boyish smirk from me...as if to say "I'm tough enough to be out here and I won't open myself up to more pain". I really connected with Jaime and his dog, Ruffy.

DSC_1735.jpg

DSC_1745.jpg

DSC_1804.jpg

And this is Ruffy, an american pit bull terrier mix. She's about a year old and hates expensive dog treats - even though, for some reason, that's all people will give to Jaime for her. She was one of the sweetest pit bulls I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and she shows the exact same fake toughness that her owner passes himself off as having. Ruffy is the reason I decided I should help these people. I have a soft spot in my heart for animals and I couldn't not help this particular dog

DSC_1754.jpg

DSC_1783.jpg

DSC_1803.jpg

I really had a very nice conversation with Brooke and Jaime and I wish them all the best in their travels. They told me the plan was to split up at some point and go their separate ways but I can't help but feel they make a great team. Having only spoken with them for 20-30 minutes, I have a very heavy heart knowing that one day they will no longer be together and that once again, they will be alone and on the road with nothing but a hope and a prayer.

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2008
    Tough story. I wish them luck in reaching their destinations and hope that things work out for them.

Nicely captured.
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nice shots, and yes, nice stories!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • ChazmanChazman Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    Nice shots! Kind of a shame people like this go unnoticed in life, except for people like us, looking for shots. It is great to interface with them. Ruffy is loving life, have you ever watched the Dog Wisperer??
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    the shoe shot is great. big thumbs up
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Very nice shots!! Thank you for sharing this story!
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    the shoe shot is great. big thumbs up

15524779-Ti.gif And a fascinating series, too. Kudos for getting out their and getting their story!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • rspartsrsparts Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Thanks, the boot picture is my favorite from these too.