Some new baseball shots

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited May 28, 2008 in Sports
Second game, still getting the hang of this sports shooting. It was a pretty boring game overall, but I got a few decent shots. Looking forward to the next game. Anyone know some good sports shooting books I could check out?

C&C appreciated.

1. How do you keep the ref's out of your way? :rofl302706878_CK749-L.jpg

2. Coach
302713530_UpJmG-L.jpg

3. You can win the chance to rake every game!
302713332_aDsxk-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• hschlessphotohschlessphoto Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    these shots a very good, but lack focus. They have great content no doubt though. Here is a book I got 2 christmases ago and is GREAT for learning to shoot sports. It's a great mix of what settings, lenses, etc to use for hockey, basketball, baseball, soccer, and football AND how to really capture the moment, faces, and what an editor is looking for. HIGHLY recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Sports-Photography-Newman-Lowrance/dp/1592006485/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212011099&sr=8-4

Hope it helps!
    www.hankschlessphoto.com

Follow me on Instagram! @hankschlessphoto

Nikon D90, 85mm f/1.8, 18-70mm f/3.5, 70-300mm f/4.5, Nikon SB-800, MX-600 tripod
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    these shots a very good, but lack focus. They have great content no doubt though. Here is a book I got 2 christmases ago and is GREAT for learning to shoot sports. It's a great mix of what settings, lenses, etc to use for hockey, basketball, baseball, soccer, and football AND how to really capture the moment, faces, and what an editor is looking for. HIGHLY recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Sports-Photography-Newman-Lowrance/dp/1592006485/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212011099&sr=8-4

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the comments and the link. I have that book but have only read parts of it so far (totally slipped my mind that I got it! thanks for the reminder).

Still trying to get the hang on focusing - I've tried "one-shot" "AI focus" and "AI Servo" and so far have not had great success with anything. I know I'm obviously doing something wrong (settings, etc) but just haven't been able to figure out the right formula yet.

What do focus mode do you shoot with? Do you prefocus on something close and use a closed down lens? I've been trying to shoot wide open to have foreground/background separation.

The guys I shoot with shoot manual focus eek7.gif I have had 0 luck shooting anything manual focus (bad eyes).
    ~ Lisa
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Try using AI Servo with a single focus point. I typically use the center point only and then crop for better composition. This way I always know were the camera is "looking".

David
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-