Sigma vs Canon 70-200mm

shootcanonshootcanon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited May 29, 2008 in Cameras
OK, I want to replace my Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6 lens with either the Canon 70-200mm f4L or the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. From what I've read online the Canon is slightly sharper. However, I will use the lens for sports (sometimes), so I think the faster Sigma lens might be better. Does anyone know if the AF is slower or of an inferior quality with the Sigma compared to the Canon? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
  • shootcanonshootcanon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2008
    gus wrote:

Didn't notice that one.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 28, 2008
    shootcanon wrote:
    OK, I want to replace my Canon 75-300mm f4-5.6 lens with either the Canon 70-200mm f4L or the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8. From what I've read online the Canon is slightly sharper. However, I will use the lens for sports (sometimes), so I think the faster Sigma lens might be better. Does anyone know if the AF is slower or of an inferior quality with the Sigma compared to the Canon? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got the Canon f4 IS version last week and just today the weather was suitable for testing the Canon EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM against the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (non-IS).

While I mounted the f4 first for testing I was immediately struck by how much faster the f2.8 "snapped" to focus. The f4 is sweet and quiet and the f2.8 is just "bam" and it's there. I'll bet it's just a fraction of a second better in reality but the f2.8 is faster than the f4 IMO. (Don't get me wrong, the f4 version is some fantastic glass and the focus speed is fine for anything.)

A couple of years ago I tested 2 copies of the Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8 EX DG HSM and I do believe it was a little slower still, but it's still quick. I also saw, in both Sigma lenses, a "ringing" of white colored subjects which would have impacted my use. To be fair many people like the Sigma so it may have been a QC problem, but I wound up getting the Canon f2.8 non-IS instead and I was very pleased in every aspect of performance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    I had the Canon 70-200 F4/L (non-IS) first... and then moved up to the Sigma 70-200 f2.8. i was shooting a lot of sports and the f4 was not fast enough for my needs, the 2.8 is great and I've not had any problems with it being a sigma. It focuses a bit slower than the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS (which a friend let me use for a game one day) but as long as I can get the focus right, my images are still sharp and clear.

I will likely eventually upgrade to the 70-200 f2.8 IS from Canon eventually, but only because I want the IS and color it produces on the L glass for the weddings I do... not for sports reasons.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    shootcanon wrote:

Thats an easy one! Sing with me:

L L spend you dough
    spend it all the way!

You will get the finest glass
    that you can buy for mon-ey.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • shootcanonshootcanon Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys. Not quite sure yet, but it will probably be the Sigma. I think it might be the most useful one for me.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    shootcanon wrote:
    Thanks for all the help guys. Not quite sure yet, but it will probably be the Sigma. I think it might be the most useful one for me.

Best review and test I have seen on these lenses, including your 70-300

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/70300s