Options

Chicago: Adler Planetarium area at night? Open access?

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
I am attempting to set up a shoot outside the Adler Planetarium in the early morning hours before and after sunrise. From what I can find out on the web, and by calling the Chicago Police, I am told (officially) that the entire area is off limits in the early morning, no free parking (or paid parking) exists at that hour, and by even being there I would be trespassing.

What? :dunno This never used to be true. Anyone know if this is possible or not?
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    rsirotarsirota Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    I am attempting to set up a shoot outside the Adler Planetarium in the early morning hours before and after sunrise. From what I can find out on the web, and by calling the Chicago Police, I am told (officially) that the entire area is off limits in the early morning, no free parking (or paid parking) exists at that hour, and by even being there I would be trespassing.

What? ne_nau.gif This never used to be true. Anyone know if this is possible or not?

Did you try media relations? Or you could just do it and plead dump if anyone stops you...
    Rob Sirota
    Web: www.robsirotaphotography.comwww.k9-pix.comwww.rsirota.com
    Nikon... All Nikon (D4/D810/Dƒ)
    ... OK I do have a PhaseOne 645DF+ w/IQ250
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,933 moderator
    edited May 29, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    What? ne_nau.gif This never used to be true. Anyone know if this is possible or not?

Well, I suppose these days, anything is possible, but it sure sounds bogus to me. I would just go and do it and if a cop told me to leave, I would.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Media Permit
    The skinny.

To be on Park District property before 6am is illegal.

To obtain permission to be on Park District property (at any time of day) with camera gear is a permit process. This is called a Media Permit. Permit takes no less than 14 days to process. The permit fee is $25 per permission/place/date.

A "Media Camera" is anything that has a lens that can be changed. Any camera using a tripod is also Media Camera.

There is a $500 deposit to be paid with the permit application. The permit may be denied for any reason - deposit to be refunded. If approved, there is no refund. On top of that, there is a $500 fee (non-refundable) - per day/place for the permission. One must prove a $1,000,000 liability to photograph on Chicago Park District property (even shooting Lake Michigan from the steps, which we were seeking to do).

And worst of all... no free parking nearby the Planetarium. $15 flat fee.

BTW, we ran into the same situation two years ago when we tried to take a tripod in with us to Garfield Park Conservatory.

Bottom line - we won't visit the City of Chicago for any shooting. Ever. They just don't like photographers.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    The skinny.

To be on Park District property before 6am is illegal.

To obtain permission to be on Park District property (at any time of day) with camera gear is a permit process. This is called a Media Permit. Permit takes no less than 14 days to process. The permit fee is $25 per permission/place/date.

A "Media Camera" is anything that has a lens that can be changed. Any camera using a tripod is also Media Camera.

There is a $500 deposit to be paid with the permit application. The permit may be denied for any reason - deposit to be refunded. If approved, there is no refund. On top of that, there is a $500 fee (non-refundable) - per day/place for the permission. One must prove a $1,000,000 liability to photograph on Chicago Park District property (even shooting Lake Michigan from the steps, which we were seeking to do).

And worst of all... no free parking nearby the Planetarium. $15 flat fee.

BTW, we ran into the same situation two years ago when we tried to take a tripod in with us to Garfield Park Conservatory.

Bottom line - we won't visit the City of Chicago for any shooting. Ever. They just don't like photographers.
    Who exactly did you talk to? Because this is all b/s. I've heard of the media pass before but it is meant for photo or video crews with more than two pieces of gear, ie. a tripod and light stands or other gear.

There are meters along the street by the Planetarium for parking. I've shot the Bean and the skyline by the Planetarium with a tri-pod standing directly in front of security and I've never had problems.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    David_S85 wrote:
    The skinny.
    Dave, I don't know about the Adler planetarium.
    However,
    Eight of us w/ tripods (and backpacks and other implements of photographication) spent several hours in the Garfield Conservatory just this past December. Free to park, Free to enter and no hassels.

I was at Montrose Harbor a month or so ago to see the Magic Hedge. It may have been as late as 6:05AM, probably earlier (yawn). Mostly saw fisherman and a couple birders; no cops; no hassels there either.

OTOH,
    A friend tried to arrange an outdoor shoot at Independance Grove FP (Libertyville, IL) and DID get the $500/$500/$1,000,000 song and dance just as you describe. We ended up in Blackwell FP for free with no hassels but the windy day.

YMMV
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2008
    Glu, we talked with the Park District - don't know the department - I didn't do the calling, as this was for another of Diana's book covers. I am only the photographer, if you know what I mean.

Stuff, I agree that these type of situations are a hit-or-miss proposition and one para-cop with strong (anti-photog) beliefs can make a mess of things pretty quickly.

The "before 6am" part probably scared the parties we talked to.

We may still go down and scope the place out some morning, but we'd like a place on the east side of Lake Michigan with white(ish) steps leading, or appearing to lead, directly into the lake and get the sunrise into the shot, which means <6am. This isn't as easy as it first seemed to be. Arrrghhhh.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gluwater is right
    This is all b/s, don't let it deter you. Just look like you are supposed to be there & be low-key and you'll be fine.

Park near Roosevelt & Halsted and take the #12 bus. It starts running out to the Museum campus at 4am. You don't need a media permit unless you've got a film crew with lights or something like that.

I photograph nearly everyday on Park District property and have never in 20+ years been hasseled by anyone. I've also been our at the Planetarium at all hours of day & night with no trouble. The cops only hassle folks when the officially close and clear the park after summer events.

This won't be difficult unless you follow the official rules and get involved with official city bureaucracy, which is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone!
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/