Club Volleyball - TX

sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited May 30, 2008 in Sports
Here's a few shots of my daughter's club volleyball team (13 year old) here in Houston. Mine is #4. Any C&C are welcome (cropping, lighting, etc.) And yes, some of those courts are that ugly (color-wise).

Thanks

300202045_hpmtW-M.jpg
Eyeballing the competition!

299710887_eygpt-M.jpg

300089595_Cx25C-M-1.jpg

300089897_Y4bUS-M.jpg

300202694_y5mLi-M.jpg

300198859_MoFyC-M.jpg
Shootin' the kids (volleyball and baseball that is)!
Nikon D3/D80, Nikkor 80-200/2.8, 28-70/2.8, SB800

Comments

• tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I shoot a lot of Vball!
    #2 is the best shot of these. I really like the feeling of almost distortion toward the center. Shows the main person really well...

Something i have learned is that close is better often and of course try to get the face. Though this shot works b/c it is a good shot! Good job.

I know it must have been dark in that gym hence the noise... 3200iso?

Okay well keep shooting.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Yes, unfortunately, a lot of the locations are pretty poorly lit or have a mix of different lights (older/newer halogen) that give off different colors of light (some white, some orangish) so high ISOs are the norm. Of course, throwing in obnoxious colors for the courts that cause ugly reflections off of their skin doesn't help either.

SInce all my gear is Nikon (D80) I've been drooling over the D300 and dreaming about the D3. By a bizarre twist of fate, I just fell into the opportunity to pick up a D3 from a local guy here in Houston. From everything I've heard, you can shoot with this beast up to 6400 and can hardly tell there is any noise. I can hardly wait to try it out at their next tournament and see the results. Shooting with the two FX lenses I have will let me get the full sensor picture as well. Luckily my wife graciously agreed to let me get it! clap.gif

Thanks for your comments. Where do you shoot games? I shoot a lot of my son's baseball as well so I'll probably throw a few of those up to get comments.
    tjstrider wrote:
    #2 is the best shot of these. I really like the feeling of almost distortion toward the center. Shows the main person really well...

Something i have learned is that close is better often and of course try to get the face. Though this shot works b/c it is a good shot! Good job.

I know it must have been dark in that gym hence the noise... 3200iso?

Okay well keep shooting.
  • tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I shoot..
    I shoot at Valparaiso University. It is in North West Indiana and is a D1 school. We get some cool people coming in and out.

here is a link to my stuff from this past season (fall 07) I will be posting news stuff this fall when we get back to school. I had the 70-200 F/4 with 3fps for this past season now i have the 2.8 and 5fps.
    so it should be fun
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    You've got some nice shoots here and it looks like the lighting is pretty good, at least even.

Here's where I post mine from the most recent season, Photoseal, feel free to take a look and comment. I'm still working on a lot - shooting technique, processing, etc. - so hopefully they will get better.
    tjstrider wrote:
    I shoot at Valparaiso University. It is in North West Indiana and is a D1 school. We get some cool people coming in and out.

here is a link to my stuff from this past season (fall 07) I will be posting news stuff this fall when we get back to school. I had the 70-200 F/4 with 3fps for this past season now i have the 2.8 and 5fps.
    so it should be fun