Fashion-style portraits

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited June 1, 2008 in People
Some picks from a recent fashion-style shot, for a friend's start-up local magazine. I'd love to hear any C&C on these images, or suggestions for improvements.

303522283_FeNdU-M.jpg

303522616_p3Tyf-M.jpg

303522946_mhKXq-M.jpg

303523333_u6E3U-M.jpg

5. This woman is featured in one of the stories. She designs custom-painted tennis shoes (depicted in the second photo). I threw it together in a frame, so you could see both images together similar to how they will be presented in print.
303522655_KvsNm-L.jpg

6. Our makeup artists for the shoot
303523689_D5GZ9-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    I really like the concept and execution of #5. By themselves the images are fine but together they are really great.
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    I really like the concept and execution of #5. By themselves the images are fine but together they are really great.

Thanks for your comments, JPL. I was a little concerned that the white shoe would get lost in the background highlights. Was the importance of the shoe clear to you from looking at the image?

Thanks again.

Phil
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Very nice set! I've gotta say #4 is probably my favorite!
    What's the topic of the magazine if I may ask? The impression I get from the photos alone seems very "alternative lifestyle" type topics. (If that makes any sense?)
    Thanks for sharing! If the rest of the series is anything like these ones I'm sure they'll love 'em! Thanks for sharing!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    While I was thinking this...
    What's the topic of the magazine if I may ask? The impression I get from the photos alone seems very "alternative lifestyle" type topics. (If that makes any sense?)
    Thanks for sharing! If the rest of the series is anything like these ones I'm sure they'll love 'em! Thanks for sharing!

That was my take too that it has a bit of GBLT flavor to it. What is the target market of the magazine? the images are edgy. # 4 the upper right corner has a distraction - did you use a pop up background>?
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited May 31, 2008

Thanks for commenting. The magazine is a lifestyle/arts/events publication marketed toward the local lesbian community. If that comes accross in the photos, then I must have managed to do something right! rolleyes1.gif

I'm glad you liked them.
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    edited May 31, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    That was my take too that it has a bit of GBLT flavor to it. What is the target market of the magazine? the images are edgy. # 4 the upper right corner has a distraction - did you use a pop up background>?

Yup, and I'm glad the flavor was apparent in the photos. It was designed to be. The publishers told me they also wanted an "edgy" feel. So if I accomplished that as well, then I guess I did okay. :D

Regarding #4, I'm glad you caught that. It wasn't a pop-up background. The ladies are standing atop a staircase made of red stampped conrete. The photo was taken from a high angle (I was standing on a tall stool). The distration you see is actually the corner of the staircase, where it meets the concrete sidewalk below. I applied some fairly stronge vignetting to limit the distration, but it's still too great? I thought about cropping to remove it, but don't want to lose their shoulders in the process. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 31, 2008
    PhilCollum wrote:
    The distration you see is actually the corner of the staircase, where it meets the concrete sidewalk below. I applied some fairly stronge vignetting to limit the distration, but it's still too great? I thought about cropping to remove it, but don't want to lose their shoulders in the process. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

The distraction is mostly from the light line, but it is easy to fix without cropping. You can just burn it a bit, then darken the whole corner area some. I'll PM you a quick version.

Very cool shots, BTW. I like them.

Cheers,
    edited May 31, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    The distraction is mostly from the light line, but it is easy to fix without cropping. You can just burn it a bit, then darken the whole corner area some. I'll PM you a quick version.

Very cool shots, BTW. I like them.

Cheers,

Thank you very much, Richard. Your suggestion looked great, and I'm making that change!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Put away the gun and sticks! rolleyes1.gif

I knew what the magazine was for when I saw the first pic.

agree with jpl on #5.

Interesting they are in front of a church in #3? Gotta be a story there.

My faves are 1 and 6.

I think the black girl could have used a little more light on her face in #1. JMO. Doesn't matter though.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mbg0333mbg0333 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    They are just good! Thats all I have to say!
    edited June 1, 2008
    mbg0333 wrote:
    They are just good! Thats all I have to say!

Thank you! The positive thoughts and the constructive critique mean a lot to me! We will be doing several more shoots in the future, so I hope this is the start of something good!
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA