Options

The end of uploading to smugmug

stephan54stephan54 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited June 12, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Sounds dramatic, but I feel a bit lost.

Since the simple uploader reached version 5, I cannot get it to be installed. (explained in other thread)

Now the drag and drop gave me a warning about 'not trusted', so I only get a small red cross in the second of the two boxes.

What is happening.

Edit:
After a restart, the drag and drop is working again, but is accompanied by a warning about the digital signature that cannot be trusted-

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    Sounds like this could even be a brower/computer issue. Have you tried another browser/computer?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Thanks for your thoughts. I use Microsoft products and have no exotic software on my pc. Some other pc's in our household use Firefox and do not experience this problem, but neither with the MS explorer that also runs on them.
  • Options
    gwilliams99gwilliams99 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2008
    A Great Upload Application
    I've tried all the free things for uploading to Smugmug.
    They fail when I'm uploading a lot of photos.
    I have found a application called Star Explorer that solved all my problems.
    It's not free, but you can get a demo of it to see if you like it.
    It is well worth it's reasonable purchase cost.
    I can upload hundreds of photos without any fear that the upload will fail.
    Give the application a look at:
    http://www.starexplorer.com/

Greg Williams
    stephan54 wrote:
    Sounds dramatic, but I feel a bit lost.

Since the simple uploader reached version 5, I cannot get it to be installed. (explained in other thread)

Now the drag and drop gave me a warning about 'not trusted', so I only get a small red cross in the second of the two boxes.

What is happening.

Edit:
    After a restart, the drag and drop is working again, but is accompanied by a warning about the digital signature that cannot be trusted-
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Thank you for the link, I will certainly look into it.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    I used StarExplorer for a while, but ran into problems with incomplete uploads. I've seen the same thing with SM built-in uploaders as well. I think it's a trial and error thing to find the perfect solution. And then it may stop working when a new feature is added or something is changed.

I actually keep a xpe thin client dedicated just for uploading to avoid any problems. You can get them as cheap as $150 brand new under the CDW Outlet.
  • Options
    gwilliams99gwilliams99 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2008
    Star Explorer
    Did you talk to the developer telling him you had upload trouble?
    He seems to be really responsive to problems people have.
    From what I can tell it's really easy fro Smugmug to do a site upgrade that breaks third party upload applications.

I think Smugmug broke Star Explorer a couple of months ago, however the Star Explorer developer got it fixed in short order. I don't think this is the fault of Star Explorer, but rather a disregard of the third party apps by Smugmug. Smugmug does their thing without regard to the impact on other software. I guess Smugmug has a right to upgrade their system as they see fit.

I've used Star Explorer to upload folders that contain 1.5 Gb of photos without failure, I'm sure it's not foolproof but it has worked well for me so far.

Whats this thin client thing you are talking about? it does sound interesting.
    SamirD wrote:
    I used StarExplorer for a while, but ran into problems with incomplete uploads. I've seen the same thing with SM built-in uploaders as well. I think it's a trial and error thing to find the perfect solution. And then it may stop working when a new feature is added or something is changed.

I actually keep a xpe thin client dedicated just for uploading to avoid any problems. You can get them as cheap as $150 brand new under the CDW Outlet.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2008
    Did you talk to the developer telling him you had upload trouble?
    He seems to be really responsive to problems people have.
    From what I can tell it's really easy fro Smugmug to do a site upgrade that breaks third party upload applications.

I think Smugmug broke Star Explorer a couple of months ago, however the Star Explorer developer got it fixed in short order. I don't think this is the fault of Star Explorer, but rather a disregard of the third party apps by Smugmug. Smugmug does their thing without regard to the impact on other software. I guess Smugmug has a right to upgrade their system as they see fit.

I've used Star Explorer to upload folders that contain 1.5 Gb of photos without failure, I'm sure it's not foolproof but it has worked well for me so far.

Whats this thin client thing you are talking about? it does sound interesting.
    I have worked with the developer of SE on this issue a bit, but I'm not sure where we left off. I had such time deadlines back then that I had to focus on uploading as opposed to fixing an uploader.

Here's a link to a thin client:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1365323
    It's the exact same as this one. Look at the price difference:
    http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1433764

This is almost like the one I use except mine's slower. A thin client is like a toaster, except that it's a windows XP computer. It has no hard drive, everything runs off a ROM and flash memory. You can never get a virus, or registry errors or anything else that glitches most computers as long as you set it up as read-only. If it stops working--just reboot it and it works the way you set it up. I use them a lot for public access kiosks in my consulting business. I have one which I use everytime I want to upload to SM. I just start it up and I know my upload will be properly done in the morning.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    SamirD wrote:
    I have worked with the developer of SE on this issue a bit, but I'm not sure where we left off. I had such time deadlines back then that I had to focus on uploading as opposed to fixing an uploader.
    I have an occassionally flaky connection, and the last time I used SE, it would go into an endless loop when it hit an error, instead of stopping, disconnecting, and retrying.

I've since gone to a Lightroom Plugin which (so far) has worked pretty well to do the upload, and doesn't require me to do an export from the package before doing an upload.

Also, the relatively new SM uploader also seems to be better than the prior simple uploader.

Or maybe my internet connection's gotten better. headscratch.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc