Stats Explanation?

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 30, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Ok, so I looked at my stats and one gallery shows 12,473 Hits (thumbnails). That's just for this month right? I assume so because the link at the top of the page goes to "Last month". That's my first question.

My second question is...regarding the thumbnail hits...is it considered a hit when someone views a page of thumbnails and so when those thumbnails load up that's considered a thumbnail hit for EACH thumbnail on that page? Or is it only a hit if they click on the thumbnail to "elarge" it to the right of the screen?...or is that click in that case considered a hit on the Medium image if that's what their screen shows them when they select an image? OR....is it only a Medium hit if someone clicks on the selected image to the right of the screen and the image is then centered in the screen and that's the only image showing at the moment? Am I confusing you yet? I think you know what I mean.

Comments

• kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Anyone? ne_nau.gif

Oh and correction on the thumbnail hits...I have less than 12,000 thumbnail hits...I was looking at the total for the gallery. The thumbnail hits are more like a little over 10,000.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Hi, does this help page help?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctreport
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Ah Andy's back :)

Yes, it figures it was in the help section....duh! :)

This answered it for me:

When your visitor views a gallery page in the smugmug viewing style, SmugMug will transfer thumbnail images and one larger image. We will count additional hits if that person returns to that page. In other viewing styles, each size is served up only one time, then cached, or remembered, by the Internet browser. If you rotate, crop, or color adjust your photos, a new one will be transferred to your visitor's cache and another hit generated.

Thanks