Tonal Range Question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Cameras
Morning Folks,
Has anyone noticed an issue with tonal range regarding the 40D ? In a few pics I shot that have a lot of sky in the background, I noticed that in the upper areas of the sky, it almost looks like different shades of blue, almost like a water color effect. I really didn't notice this on my Xt or Xti images. This is before any pp is applied. I have shot the same picture with and without the highlight priority and both results appear the same.
Thanks for your help and have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 30, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Morning Folks,
    Has anyone noticed an issue with tonal range regarding the 40D ? In a few pics I shot that have a lot of sky in the background, I noticed that in the upper areas of the sky, it almost looks like different shades of blue, almost like a water color effect. I really didn't notice this on my Xt or Xti images. This is before any pp is applied. I have shot the same picture with and without the highlight priority and both results appear the same.
    Thanks for your help and have a good day :D
    Jim...

An example file would help to identify the culprit.

If you are shooting JPG I would remind you to make sure that the quality settings are as high as possible, the largest resolution "and" the lowest compression.

I am a little disappointed that the 40D only has two compression settings for JPG. When dealing with subtle tonal changes like blue sky or clouds or smooth skin, JPG can easily create visible "blemishes" due to the JPG compression scheme. Almost pure reds and almost pure blues are especially vulnerable with Bayer chip cameras because those tones are interpolated from only 25% of the available pixels, so they start at a disadvantage.

It's always better when shooting the above subjects to use RAW for capture and then to process in 16 bit for as long as possible. The subtle tones are better preserved this way.

JPG should be reserved for distribution images for best results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    An example file would help to identify the culprit.

If you are shooting JPG I would remind you to make sure that the quality settings are as high as possible, the largest resolution "and" the lowest compression.

I am a little disappointed that the 40D only has two compression settings for JPG. When dealing with subtle tonal changes like blue sky or clouds or smooth skin, JPG can easily create visible "blemishes" due to the JPG compression scheme. Almost pure reds and almost pure blues are especially vulnerable with Bayer chip cameras because those tones are interpolated from only 25% of the available pixels, so they start at a disadvantage.

It's always better when shooting the above subjects to use RAW for capture and then to process in 16 bit for as long as possible. The subtle tones are better preserved this way.

JPG should be reserved for distribution images for best results.
    Good Morning Ziggy & Thank You thumb.gif
    I normally shoot high jpeg with low compression and only recently did I notice this, and then, just with a sky type background. Most of my work is interiors, so I never had that problem before. Or never noticed it in any of those pictures.
    Thanks again and have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Hi Jim,

Which lens were you getting this with? Using a polarizer filter? You can get variable sky colors on very wide angles (like your 10-22) especially if you are using a circular polorizer filter.

Just another guess.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    dmmattix wrote:
    Hi Jim,

Which lens were you getting this with? Using a polarizer filter? You can get variable sky colors on very wide angles (like your 10-22) especially if you are using a circular polorizer filter.

Just another guess.

Regards,

Mike

Good Afternoon Mike and Thank you,
    I was using my 10-22 and my 17-50, highest setting jgep, lowest compression, with no filters. As Ziggy pointed out earlier, it's best to shoot raw then convert to jpeg for maximum detail. I usually shoot interiors, and have not had that problem before. Thanks again thumb.gif
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...