First Bug!

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited May 31, 2008 in Holy Macro
I am reluctant to share this in light of the wonderful detail many here are able to capture. Nevertheless this is my first bug shot and I'd like to know what I have crawling around my yard. Captured this with my 18-135 kit lens at 135mm. The focus is poor (in my excitement I neglected to switch to manual focus). This guy had a 3 inch spread toe to toe. Can anyone ID it for me? I have been holding off getting a true macro lens but now.. I don't know! I just might have to have one. :D

304052241_5fxx5-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I think you did a great job with that lens. thumb.gif With a 3 inch dia. toe to toe
    this is one very large spider. Pretty sure this is a wolf spider and a
    colorful one too. :D Michael
    Michael
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 30, 2008
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    DaddyO wrote:
    I think you did a great job with that lens. thumb.gif With a 3 inch dia. toe to toe
    this is one very large spider. Pretty sure this is a wolf spider and a
    colorful one too. :D Michael

Thanks for the nice comment DaddyO. I looked up wolf spider when I first read your post and it sure looks like it.

Jack
    edited May 30, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    nice shot with kit lens, a very nicely patterned spider.
    phil.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

Thanks Phil. This is the lens I've used for the flower shots I've been posting. It performs quite well when I do my part headscratch.gif

Jack
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Good capture Jack. Looks like the Tarantulas we have around here in Tucson, but I really don't know. I have been toying with getting a macro as well. Nice shot. thumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2008
    Thanks Dan. BTW that was a very nice hummigbird capture to put up on the wildlife forum.

Jack
  • GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Cool shot Jack/John thumb.gif That certainly is a nice colourful spider. It looks very similar to the wolf spiders we had in the small town where we lived when I was small.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Lovely capture - that's bigger than the wolfies we get here :)
    Brian v.
    edited May 31, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    Cool shot Jack/John thumb.gif That certainly is a nice colourful spider. It looks very similar to the wolf spiders we had in the small town where we lived when I was small.

Thanks Mike. It scared the heck out of me when I reached down and it jumped out. The biggest spider I've seen prior to this is a Daddy Longlegs! :D

Jack
    edited May 31, 2008
    Lovely capture - that's bigger than the wolfies we get here :)
    Brian v.

Thanks Brian. It sure was big. I'm glad to find out that it's not too venomous!

Jack
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I am reluctant to share this in light of the wonderful detail many here are able to capture. Nevertheless this is my first bug shot and I'd like to know what I have crawling around my yard. Captured this with my 18-135 kit lens at 135mm. The focus is poor (in my excitement I neglected to switch to manual focus). This guy had a 3 inch spread toe to toe. Can anyone ID it for me? I have been holding off getting a true macro lens but now.. I don't know! I just might have to have one. :D

The Wolf Spiders here grow pretty big.

Sorta looks mean doesn't it eek7.gif looks good!

Just remember if you do go for a Macro Lens they are not just for Macro use only, unless you go for an MPE 65, that can't be used for anything but Extreme Macro.

Lenses like the 60mm and the 100mm can be used as Portrait Lenses as well.

I'm thinking the hooks are in, and your trying hard to resist becoming a Macro-aholic aren't you rolleyes1.gif give up mate, no point fighting it :D

You did well thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 31, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    The Wolf Spiders here grow pretty big.

Sorta looks mean doesn't it eek7.gif looks good!

Just remember if you do go for a Macro Lens they are not just for Macro use only, unless you go for an MPE 65, that can't be used for anything but Extreme Macro.

Lenses like the 60mm and the 100mm can be used as Portrait Lenses as well.
    I was not aware of that. I had seen that some people use 50, 100, or 150mm lenses but I assumed they were "special" macro lenses. In fact I was thinking of posting a question on "what makes a macro lens macro?" in the technique section. I in fact have a 50mm f/1.4 Nikor. I never thought I could use it for macro. I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks for that info.
    Skippy wrote:
    I'm thinking the hooks are in, and your trying hard to resist becoming a Macro-aholic aren't you rolleyes1.gif give up mate, no point fighting it :D
    I am rather likeing it! :D
    Skippy wrote:
    You did well thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement and the info.

Jack