Loch Somewhere, Mull

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited May 31, 2008 in Landscapes
Doh, guess who forgot to make a note of the location names we visited in Mull, if anyone can help...

So this is my first attempt to make localised changes with PS, including some dodging and burning plus some curves adjustments.

I'm pleased with the contrast I've added, especially in the foreground rock, but am now left wondering if it looks a little overwrought, any opinions appreciated.

304074586_5xN9o-M.jpg

Cheers, Charlie

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Wa-hoo! I love it. thumb.gif

I do think the shadows are a little dark but not overly so.

Looks like you're doing just fine practicing what you learned. :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    what a great shot....you have so many you cant even remeber which one is which:D

i like everthing you have done so far, anyway great work on the masks, add one more using grad tool to darken the right side of the frame slightly to balance this shot to draw the eye to the rocks...just off center.

i stayed at the holidayinn express
    Aaron Nelson
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Wonderful shot, and amazing PP! I can only hope to be able to PP like that someday! clap.gifclap.gif
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Wa-hoo! I love it. thumb.gif

I do think the shadows are a little dark but not overly so.

Looks like you're doing just fine practicing what you learned. :D

Thanks Schmoo, that's a good point, I've lost quite a lot of shadow detail haven't I, I'll go back and look at that!

Charlie
    edited May 30, 2008
    what a great shot....you have so many you cant even remeber which one is which:D

i like everthing you have done so far, anyway great work on the masks, add one more using grad tool to darken the right side of the frame slightly to balance this shot to draw the eye to the rocks...just off center.

i stayed at the holidayinn express

Thanks Aaron, I'll give that a go, am I right in thinking you're saying that the brightness of the right hand side of the image is distracting and that bringing it down a notch will concentrate the eye more to the focal point?

Charlie
    edited May 30, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Wonderful shot, and amazing PP! I can only hope to be able to PP like that someday! clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Rhuarc, it's actually easier than you might think, once someone who knows what they are doing shows you mwink.gif (thanks Marc!)

Charlie
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Thanks Aaron, I'll give that a go, am I right in thinking you're saying that the brightness of the right hand side of the image is distracting and that bringing it down a notch will concentrate the eye more to the focal point?

Charlie

now that i think about it....i think you should do as schmoo said...lighten the left side a bit...
    using the same technique i refered to but in the inverse

and btw, i have no idea where this is or what it is called....:D
    we will refer to it as Lock Charlie...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 30, 2008
    now that i think about it....i think you should do as schmoo said...lighten the left side a bit...
    using the same technique i refered to but in the inverse

and btw, i have no idea where this is or what it is called....:D
    we will refer to it as Lock Charlie...

:D Thanks Aaron, I'll give it a go.

Perhaps Loch Thingamejig would be better.

Charlie
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I think it's Loch Nakeal. That's the one with the oak grove and the cliffs with the sheep, right? If so, it's Nakeal. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 30, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think it's Loch Nakeal. That's the one with the oak grove and the cliffs with the sheep, right? If so, it's Nakeal. deal.gif

Cool, thanks David, I'm sure you're correct.

Charlie
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Man, Charlie, I need to hang around with you more at a future workshop (and not just because you keep an eye out for my bad habit of tripping downhill). :D You've got a great eye for composing landscapes! thumb.gif

Nice job processing, too. Lightening the left just a smidge would be nice, as schmoo said, but I think Aaron's original idea of adding a slight burn (almost like a partial vignette) to the right 1/8th of the frame only would make the foreground rocks even more of a focal point. Or not. ne_nau.gif But I'm curious nonetheless.
    edited May 30, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Man, Charlie, I need to hang around with you more at a future workshop (and not just because you keep an eye out for my bad habit of tripping downhill). :D You've got a great eye for composing landscapes! thumb.gif

Nice job processing, too. Lightening the left just a smidge would be nice, as schmoo said, but I think Aaron's original idea of adding a slight burn (almost like a partial vignette) to the right 1/8th of the frame only would make the foreground rocks even more of a focal point. Or not. ne_nau.gif But I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks Kerry, I can just see you slipping on those rocks now, they've got your name written all over them mwink.gif

I'm going to have another go now, though I really should go to bed (lighthouse in the morning, or was that a dream?)

Charlie
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    (lighthouse in the morning, or was that a dream?)

Charlie
    4am deal.gif
    edited May 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    4am deal.gif

:snore (mmm, salad sandwiches, zzz)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    :snore (mmm, salad sandwiches, zzz)

Don't forget the cheeky birds.