Family photos yesterday

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited June 2, 2008 in People
Last weekend, I was tasked to photograph a huge birthday party for a young lady who turned 90 years old. This was my first event other than a wedding. During that party, I made an appointment to photograph this family. Here are a couple from yesterday...on the family's farmland.

Thoughts? Comments?

304137036_agXPP-L.jpg

304136412_w2BV6-L.jpg

304135198_WCumy-L.jpg

Comments

• super starsuper star Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Beautiful shots.....

I like the first one..very mucg, wonderful light...

Second one... light bhind small boy is bit distracting...our eyes....

Third...nice composition....

Over all..... thumb.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    you always have such wonderful lighting
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Yep, wonderful lighting, great comps and nice processing....what's not to like? mwink.gif Nice work there Jeff.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Oh how beautiful!! Love the 2nd one!! iloveyou.gif
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    nice shots. beautiful.

the expression (especially eyes) seems a bit. . . I dont know. .. on the first one--the lady on our right.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Qarik wrote:
    you always have such wonderful lighting

Thanks. Here I actually had wonderful shade. It was around 6:10 PM when we began shooting. I had arrived a bit early and the light was rather harsh, so we waited awhile. She told me that she wanted to do everything in the vicinity of the barn, so I walked out there to look around a bit. There is a large oak tree to camera right in #2 that is providing much of the shade. I realized that if I waited much longer the angle of the sun would be below it's lowest limbs and I would lose my shade. I have one of those fiberglass covers on the bed of my pick-up that hinges up toward the cab. I positioned the truck...with the lid raised...to block the dappling that was coming through the tree. A move that saved me from waiting at least another hour to beging shooting.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks. Here I actually had wonderful shade. It was around 6:10 PM when we began shooting. I had arrived a bit early and the light was rather harsh, so we waited awhile. She told me that she wanted to do everything in the vicinity of the barn, so I walked out there to look around a bit. There is a large oak tree to camera right in #2 that is providing much of the shade. I realized that if I waited much longer the angle of the sun would be below it's lowest limbs and I would lose my shade. I have one of those fiberglass covers on the bed of my pick-up that hinges up toward the cab. I positioned the truck...with the lid raised...to block the dappling that was coming through the tree. A move that saved me from waiting at least another hour to beging shooting.

Add to my list of photographic gear: truck with fiberglass cover!!!
    edited May 30, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Add to my list of photographic gear: truck with fiberglass cover!!!

rolleyes1.gif
    It is 4 door truck and the windows are super dark. It has also served as a dressing room on most all of my on location senior shoots. The lockable lid on the bed is also nice so I can carry large foam core sheets, a couple of ladders/stools and a few old cheap tripods that I can use for holding the foam core...or a light...or.... I also usually carry a few pieces of cardboard back there to tear into butt sized pieces for people to sit on when I pose them on the ground.

Hey...if you already have the truck, you can get the lid for about the same price as a 40D and lens!:D
    edited May 30, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Yep, wonderful lighting, great comps and nice processing....what's not to like? mwink.gif Nice work there Jeff.

Thanks Swarzty, I appreciate that!
    edited May 30, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Oh how beautiful!! Love the 2nd one!! iloveyou.gif

I have a few other group poses. I decided to grab the rocking chair from the front porch to build the pose around. I am not at all comfortable posing more than a couple people so....

The chair helped matters.
    edited May 30, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    nice shots. beautiful.

the expression (especially eyes) seems a bit. . . I dont know. .. on the first one--the lady on our right.

Yup...that is her expression...I caught that same look in many of the photos that included her. She seemed tense compared to the rest of the family about being photographed.
    edited May 30, 2008
    super star wrote:
    Beautiful shots.....

I like the first one..very mucg, wonderful light...

Second one... light bhind small boy is bit distracting...our eyes....

Third...nice composition....

Over all..... thumb.gif

Welcome to Dgrin!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Love the light in the first one, though I'm not bowled over by the blonde's expression - there's something a little too "deer in the headlights" look to it.

#2 - Very sweet light and well done.

#3 is my favorite - really like the natural feel of this one. Would have liked to see other expressions on the older boy's face and that of the girl. Really like how you got them in the shadow of the trees rather than in the hard light of the field behind them - very good thinking and awareness of the environment! thumb.gif
  • sanakasanaka Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Yes, Mom in #1's expression stands out, but like you said, that's just some folks' look...
    Overall, I'd be so stoked if I could capture shots near this good of my own family! These are really nice.

Peace,
    Sanaka
    WooHooo! New dSLR!:barb : Canon XSi / 450D
    Kit lens for now: 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Very nice Jeff. I especially like #2. The grass is so vibrant. Great setting.
    edited May 31, 2008
    Love the light in the first one, though I'm not bowled over by the blonde's expression - there's something a little too "deer in the headlights" look to it.

#2 - Very sweet light and well done.

#3 is my favorite - really like the natural feel of this one. Would have liked to see other expressions on the older boy's face and that of the girl. Really like how you got them in the shadow of the trees rather than in the hard light of the field behind them - very good thinking and awareness of the environment! thumb.gif

Hi Scott!
    Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts on each of the photos. I agree with your thoughts on them all. I tried doing the group shots before the mother/daughter photo to give mom a chance to relax. I even told her she was giving me the wooden look, but she was pretty much resigned to that expression.

I took a series of the kids walking in the hayfield. Both walking away and towards me, Those that were in this shade worked much better than the others. I may have better expressions of all of them...including mom. I ran everything through lightroom, but haven't really studied the photos other than these three. Maybe I will have a chance to finish things up on Monday.
    edited May 31, 2008
    sanaka wrote:
    Yes, Mom in #1's expression stands out, but like you said, that's just some folks' look...
    Overall, I'd be so stoked if I could capture shots near this good of my own family! These are really nice.

Peace,
    Sanaka

Thanks Sanaka...
    Tell you what...Fly me to your hometown, and I will help you get those family shots for free!!!:D

Thanks for looking!!
    edited May 31, 2008
    DavidS wrote:
    Very nice Jeff. I especially like #2. The grass is so vibrant. Great setting.

Thanks David. I think it is the contrast in #2. I had to pour a lot of black into the photo to get a good blackpoint on my subjects. Then, add in a vignette and it gets really contrasty where the vignette is. I agree about the setting. I asked him how often and when he plans to cut the hay. If I get any Fall seniors I might take one of them out there for photos.
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Great Photos!bowdown.gif

The only thing that distracted me from the subject was the bright spot in #1 on the right side.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Jeff these are beautiful...good job. My favorite is the mother / daughter image. Superb!
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Beautiful shots. #2 is my favorite. I really like #1's lighting. I wonder if you could change the dear in headlight look by just having her turn her head slowly? Thinking to myself here.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    #3 is my favourite. I love the composition and just the overall feel of it.

Having grown up on a farm what seems like a LONG time ago, looking at it brought back some fun memories for me. I'm sure those kids will appreciate it when they're older! :)

-- Lisa P.
    edited June 2, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Beautiful shots. #2 is my favorite. I really like #1's lighting. I wonder if you could change the dear in headlight look by just having her turn her head slowly? Thinking to myself here.

I liked the lighting in #1 as well. I was doing everything I could to be sure I was getting those stray golden rays of sun playing behind them on the wall. I tried a few different tactics with mom....to no avail.