Options

OOB Baseball: C&C Please

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Working on this photo for the "Creative" category at this month's local camera club print contest. As of now I am considering it finished but wanted to get some C&C from you all first before I print/mount it. I can still make changes via Photoshop, but probably can't get out for a reshoot before the deadline.

Print size will be 10x14 inches, mounted to 16x20 inches.

I had to knock the jpg down to 80% quality to get the image small enough for the upload attachment (can't upload to my SM gallery from where i'm at).

Thank you in advance for helping out wih this.
~ Lisa

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I really like it! It's a great action shot, that works well with an OOB treatment. I like the way you carried the sky/grass/dirt colors over into the background. Good job!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Thank you for the compliments! :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I think you have done very well with this. I like it a lot.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I like it a lot, too - love the fact that you kept the first baseman's shadow!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    mike_k wrote:
    I like it a lot, too - love the fact that you kept the first baseman's shadow!

Thanks guys!

mike_k - glad you like it, i actually added that shadow. there was one in the original but there was no way to "save" it. the photo was definately missing something without the shadow though.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    That is one awesome job. It blew me awayiloveyou.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    I really enjoy the mult-dimensional aspect of this shot. It is also just fun. If possible I would add some kind of advertising-related graphic (fake or real) to the left-sided billboard. The blank framed rectangle brings down the image a bit.

M
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Thanks guys!

mike_k - glad you like it, i actually added that shadow. there was one in the original but there was no way to "save" it. the photo was definately missing something without the shadow though.

I thought that might be the case - you did a great job with it thumb.gif
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    What would it look like if you continued the similiar colors in the line on the outside portion as the image? Meaning where the grass line comes to the edge follow where the line would go if the actuall image were there and the use the green there and the brown in line with the clay.
    Does that make sense? I don't know I can see it in my head though and it looks cool.
    What you've done here is very cool very nice PS work.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    What would it look like if you continued the similiar colors in the line on the outside portion as the image? Meaning where the grass line comes to the edge follow where the line would go if the actuall image were there and the use the green there and the brown in line with the clay.
    Does that make sense? I don't know I can see it in my head though and it looks cool.
    What you've done here is very cool very nice PS work.

Not 100% sure what you are saying here, but I'm going to give it a shot tonight and post up the results.

EDIT: I tried it out but didn't really like the results. I prefer the white photo-border style. Thanks for the idea though, it was definitely worth a try.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Working on this photo for the "Creative" category at this month's local camera club print contest. As of now I am considering it finished but wanted to get some C&C from you all first before I print/mount it. I can still make changes via Photoshop, but probably can't get out for a reshoot before the deadline.

Print size will be 10x14 inches, mounted to 16x20 inches.

I had to knock the jpg down to 80% quality to get the image small enough for the upload attachment (can't upload to my SM gallery from where i'm at).

Thank you in advance for helping out wih this.

Great shot to make an OOB from clap.gif
    Did a great job with this one thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    darkdragon...well done on your OOB! Looks really nice, action shots work very well with the OOB technique like yours!
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Serrator wrote:
    darkdragon...well done on your OOB! Looks really nice, action shots work very well with the OOB technique like yours!

Thanks Serrator. I used your tutorial to learn OOB a few months ago! :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Ok can you share how you did that? And in laymon terms?
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    did you try the other idea?
    and
    what does oob stand for? Out of Bounds?
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Nice eg of the genre, ddclap.gifclapclap.gif

(Do you know, I think I can see the signature noise of your 40D in the flat BG areas of the insert??? But prob I am projecting it because of our recent discussion???)

I think Miguel has a point, and I thought if only you had the baseman's face you could have it zoomed in at 25% opacity in the BG top L quad .

But classy job as it is!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    did you try the other idea?
    and
    what does oob stand for? Out of Bounds?

Yep, I did try your border idea. Maybe I was doing it differently then what you suggested (hard to read minds on a forum), but I tried a few variations of the border colors and found I still like white the best.

Some people call it "out of bounds" some call it "out of border". I just call it OOB ne_nau.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Seneca wrote:
    Ok can you share how you did that? And in laymon terms?

I'm no expert, but i learned how to do OOB from Serrator's tutorial PDF. You can find that at http://www.logicscape.com/oob_tutorials/
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    It's not you it's me.
    I was refering to the oob area where you already have the color.
    where you have the brown it would be green then brown the green again then blue as the BG colors in the image are, and then try to contour the lines as if a continuation of the lines in the image.
    I was going to try to pull together an eg but I... well I just didn't, I don't have any good excuses.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    It's not you it's me.
    I was refering to the oob area where you already have the color.
    where you have the brown it would be green then brown the green again then blue as the BG colors in the image are, and then try to contour the lines as if a continuation of the lines in the image.
    I was going to try to pull together an eg but I... well I just didn't, I don't have any good excuses.

Ohhhhhh. I get it now. Funny, I was just looking at the image today and thinking the same exact thing. Right now I'm waiting on a print of it to arrive from Smugmug, if it prints out decent I might just do a couple tweeks like this one and order a new print. :D
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    Thanks Serrator. I used your tutorial to learn OOB a few months ago! :D

Cool! Push the envelope!

Here are a few of my OOB's if you want to see others:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/serrator/sets/72057594091393842/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serrator/sets/72157594222164712/
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator