edited June 7, 2008
    david-low wrote:
    Nice compo clap.gif

Thanks David!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Panther wrote:
    Morning CMorgan,

Thanks very much and that is very kind of you.

As far as gear, I had bought a new Nikon D70S and sent it immediately to LifePixel for conversion. I had been shooting IR for about 3 years with a Sony 717, was forever "Hooked on IR" so the natural progression was to move to a dedicated camera, for me anyway. You can achieve the same results with a number of screw on filters in the R72 Range, but the downside is much longer shutter times which cuts down on your percentage of acceptable shots due to movement caused by wind or the subject not stay still. A number of people get excellent to outstanding results from this, and it's a good way to decide if you like the experience and feel of IR, it's not a medium for everyone.

I have had a camera of somekind around me for almost 40 years, damn that just made me feel old:D everyone develops a style that they like, and it changes and moves through different phases, both in learning and styles.

I guess the best advice I can give you, is shoot, shoot, shoot. Look at as many images as you can, see what you like or dislike about each shot you see.

One thing that I have learned untold value in is being a member of several local camera clubs, and Camera Forums on the Internet throughout the years, get involved in them, enter competitions. Enter the competitions they have on DGRIN, learn from the critiques of your images and of others images ( but always remember others thoughts or ideas are subjective an differ from individual to individual, so don't necessarily change your style to suit others, but always listen to what they say an see if your image "in your mind" improves or not to you!! but think long and hard before you dismiss their thoughts, sometimes the images hold value to Us that others don't have the same tie, so they see it from a different perspective)

Sorry to ramble, but this is a wonderful Collection of Forums here, Andy and the Group, comprise of some of the Top Shooters from around the World, so keep your eyes on what you see and just keep shooting and learning, I learn something new about technique, processing, or shooting almost everyday, and for me, that keeps it fresh, exciting, and new.

Kindest Regards,

Craig

I just realized the nickname I chose for my business makes me sound like a lush. It's my real name though. :) That's really good advice and I am still young and so are you. So long as we're kicking, I think we've got a lot to live for. I tend to like a blurry image which most people don't. It gives me a more emotional attachment to it. If you ever want to see a movie that struck me silent at the end I suggest Vital starring Tadanobu Asano. The last ten minutes stopped my heart but what stuck with me was the selective focus of the camera. The people are out of focus but all the rain around them and the buildings are.
    Maybe I'll post up some of my blurry images at the whipping post. I know I can't learn if I don't do and everyone has been really encouraging. I'm glad I joined. I'm still learning my Nikon D80 and filters are something I get leery about. I can read and read but in the end I just don't trust they'll do what they say. So, I should just take the plunge and buy some? I learn by doing and getting corrected so I think I'm in the right place.
    Thanks!! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    I just realized the nickname I chose for my business makes me sound like a lush. It's my real name though. :) That's really good advice and I am still young and so are you. So long as we're kicking, I think we've got a lot to live for. I tend to like a blurry image which most people don't. It gives me a more emotional attachment to it. If you ever want to see a movie that struck me silent at the end I suggest Vital starring Tadanobu Asano. The last ten minutes stopped my heart but what stuck with me was the selective focus of the camera. The people are out of focus but all the rain around them and the buildings are.
    Maybe I'll post up some of my blurry images at the whipping post. I know I can't learn if I don't do and everyone has been really encouraging. I'm glad I joined. I'm still learning my Nikon D80 and filters are something I get leery about. I can read and read but in the end I just don't trust they'll do what they say. So, I should just take the plunge and buy some? I learn by doing and getting corrected so I think I'm in the right place.
    Thanks!! bowdown.gif

Howdy CMorgan,

If you have any interest at all in IR, I wouldn't hesitate to get a screw on R72 Hoya or another brand to try your hand at it. It will take a little bit of experimentation on your part to find "Just the right settings" but it can be done with beautiful results.

You need to shop around and find the best price, some of the filters for certain lenses can be pretty pricey. I have had really good results from my 18-70 kit lens, so if you have one of those they perform well, and should have a little smaller filter size.

Hope this helps some, I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas