Kim...

Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited June 1, 2008 in People
Hey, this is my first attempt at portraits and I lucked out by having a friend that didn't mind me wasting her time :D. I know that I should've used flash to light her face, but I couldn't get it right, so I ditched the flash. I'm also thinking about cloning out the ladder in the pool too. Let me know what you think!

304422991_3RLGp-XL.jpg

Click photo for EXIF
Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
http://slinky0390.smugmug.com

Comments

• beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I think cloning out the ladder is a good idea, I think you could black out everything above the grass line too, maybe not, that might fake it up. I don't think I like the comp, maybe cause part of the splash and part of her hand are missing, but I like the shot,
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    it's fun getting attractive friends to model for you, i hope this is the beginning of a new trend. once your other friends see what you're capable of shooting, they'll probably want to model for you too.

anyway. . .
    beetle8 wrote:
    I think cloning out the ladder is a good idea, I think you could black out everything above the grass line too, maybe not, that might fake it up.
    i must disagree with beetle here, i think the ladder is fine and a cool detail. the background is also fine with me, i don't think you would need to touch anything above the grass line.

that being said. . .
    beetle8 wrote:
    I don't think I like the comp, maybe cause part of the splash and part of her hand are missing, but I like the shot,
    15524779-Ti.gif
    the hand and splash being cut off are annoying for me. i'd also love to see more of her face. and you could light her face better by using a reflector of some sort, by shooting close to sunrise or sunset, or just shoot on an overcast day.

slinky, overall this is a fantastic first attempt. you show a lot of promise. i totally dig the colors and the overall concept of the photo.thumb.gif

i beg of you, please please please post some more and take some more portraits.
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thank you! I'm not crazy about the composition myself, however originally I had her posing on my dirtbike and the rear wheel snuck its way into this shot, I tried to save it as best as I could. Portraits are a whole different world compared to what I'm used to doing (landscape, architecture, some small studio) it was fun thought despite my nervousness at first.
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Agree with Binghott. Keep practicing that flash! It really would have helped bring this photo to another level.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • mbg0333mbg0333 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I bet she liked it! It brings out some sexiness, which is what I think she and you were going for.

It is definately not something just everybody can produce but definately has room for improvement!!

Kepp at it....practice is the only to get better!
  • Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the support, like almost every time I take a picture, I realize that there are about a million things I should've done different to get "the shot" lol, I'm definitely going to keep at it and I'll post my progress and further shots.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    I like the shot, well done!! iloveyou.gif I wouldn't worry too much about the ladder, nor the background, I think it looks fine, .... if you take it too far it just ends up looking fake, so I woudl just keep it as it is.

Yeah, too bad about the cut off hand ... but oh well ... bet she won't mind posing again rolleyes1.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Check this out, and try again with the Flash:

www.popphoto.com/assets/download/821200311318.pdf