Easy & Cheap ways to protect gear in the rain?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited June 7, 2008 in Cameras
I am going to Yosemite in two weeks with my Nikon D300 and 70-200mm VR lens and a few other smaller lenses. Anyway, I will be going to Vernall and Bridivall falls area and expect to get fully drenched from head to toe. Any of you guys know how to cover up lenses and camera bodies to make them as water resistant as possible without spending hundreds of dollars? Notice I didn't say waterproof!

Anyone know of a site that can show how I can work a plastic bag or something to do what I want? Or, how do you do it?

Thanks!
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Use a ziplock bag? That is what I am planning to use on my 30D when i go to Yosemite in a week!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Some ideas on this were posted in the Isle of Mull workshop thread before the trip: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73417&page=10

Particularly handy for you might be Andy's link to http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/ thumb.gif
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    I am going to Yosemite in two weeks with my Nikon D300 and 70-200mm VR lens and a few other smaller lenses. Anyway, I will be going to Vernall and Bridivall falls area and expect to get fully drenched from head to toe. Any of you guys know how to cover up lenses and camera bodies to make them as water resistant as possible without spending hundreds of dollars? Notice I didn't say waterproof!

Anyone know of a site that can show how I can work a plastic bag or something to do what I want? Or, how do you do it?

Thanks!

Its called a trashbag. that or a plastic shopping bag work fine.

or u could pay $40 for a camera cover, ur call.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Mike02 wrote:
    Its called a trashbag. that or a plastic shopping bag work fine.

or u could pay $40 for a camera cover, ur call.
    I spent ~$20 on a Storm Jacket, and it worked nicely in snow and moderate rain. On one of my last shoots though, in pouring rain, by the time I got done everything was wet inside (thankfully with no ill effect on the gear). I am no expert, but it seems like any material that is a "fabric" (even Gore-Tex) ultimately gets saturated; a zip-loc never would.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I also like the zipper-pull-style Ziplocks but do it slightly different. I put the body in the bag and close the zipper tight against the lens barrel. I seem to be able to work all the controls on the back of the body through the bag. I obviously see the benefit of being able to open the bag to access the camera controls.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 2, 2008
    I keep a garbage bag with my gear for emergency use. I do use a cover for
    my long glass (Lightware) that covers the lens and the camera body. In a
    pinch, a towel will work in a light rain.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy posted a great idea here
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I have my way to deal with the topical rain and bad weather in South East Asia where the rain storm can come within a minute with downpour of 4-5 inches water in an hour.
    1. Use the camera and lens with weather seal such as the 5D and 24-105 or the 70-200 F2.8
    2. Lowepro topload AW 70 with the Chest Harness to secure in front so that the camera and lens is well taken care. The Rain coat of the AW series works well.
    3. A belt system to hold the accessories and a small backpack for the outdoor essential and tripod on the back
    4. Use a big army poncho to cover the whole body and gear. I like to use pouch instead of raincoat or jacket as it covers everything and my hands can access to the gears from the belt and front pack without getting wet. Once the gears are ready, i move out from the hood and make use of the cover of the front part of the pouch to shoot. It works like a big tent under the rain.
    5. bring along a dry towel to dry the hand and gears before the after shoot.
    6. Try to use tripod to mount the camera first so that I can keep my hands free to adjust the pouch to give the best protection from the heavy rain.

To be frank, I have been preparing for such bad weather for years and only caught by the heavy rain twice during the outing. I was the only one continue shoot the rain and mist of the hill while other guys were hidding in the shelter. I did not enjoy shooting in the rain as the lighting is never be good and the rain bounds back the flash and spoil the photo.

most important is to put the gears in the dry box as soon as possible. The moisture and even water can get into the lens or camera without our knowledge.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    I have my way to deal with the topical rain and bad weather in South East Asia where the rain storm can come within a minute with downpour of 4-5 inches water in an hour.
    1. Use the camera and lens with weather seal such as the 5D and 24-105 or the 70-200 F2.8

As far as I know, in the Canon line, only the "1D" cameras have weather seals. I don't believe the 5D has anything close to a sealed body.

Many, if not most, of the Canon lenses with weather seals still need a sealed filter in front to be sealed against moisture.

I have the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM and it is not weather sealed. I believe that the "IS" version is sealed and the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM also has seals.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 3, 2008
    yes, only the 1D is real weather seal so as the 70-200 f2.8 IS.
    5D is not really sealed but most of the joints are pretty tight.
    Photoskipper
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    This is the latest and greatest in environmental protection- made exclusively for Nikon, or your footlong Spicy Italianrolleyes1.gif

255644087_b72Tg-L.jpg

255645579_xrnsa-L.jpg

Gene
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    OPTECH Rain Sleeve
    At two for six bucks, these sleeves won't break the bank for you.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=optech+rainsleeve&um=1&ie=UTF-8

I always include dry towel or tee shirt material in a couple of plastic bags to wipe of the camera if it does get damp. In fact, a baggie with a scrap of clean, dry tee shirt material is part of my camera kit. It comes in handy for a lot of different cleaning/wiping uses.
    edited June 5, 2008
    just think out of the box. Did anyone try this to protect the camera and lens?

(Mod edit, Questionable image removed.)
    Photoskipper
  • DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:

I have had good luck with the Optech sleeve. The photos may not be up to standards but show the type of weather I've used the sleeve in. It takes almost no room in the camera bag. The plastic is thin enough yet strong enough that my ball head mounts (Acratech and Bogen Action-Grip) were able to clip over the plastic without ripping the sleeve. Sometimes taking the camera off the tripod several times to hand hold for group of shots. I've used one sleeve, there are two in a pack, in 4 storms this spring and it is still in the camera bag.

I hope this is of some help.
    rpcrowe wrote:
    ...I always include dry towel or tee shirt material in a couple of plastic bags to wipe of the camera if it does get damp. In fact, a baggie with a scrap of clean, dry tee shirt material is part of my camera kit. It comes in handy for a lot of different cleaning/wiping uses...

A great idea!
    ____
    no tent for the photographer, using a D-70 and Nikor 70-200 f2.8
    282655145_hFGps-L.jpg
    Same day
    282661973_2e6ge-L.jpg
    edited June 7, 2008
    Gitzo launched 2 photo jacket. The All-season jacket have a special designed rain cover from the hood. Please check: http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/17148

It is very great design but the only complaint is just toooooooo expensive
    Photoskipper