HELP....Brother needs camera

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 31, 2008 in Cameras
I need help :D

My brother wants to get a Power Shot S5 IS. I've done some checking on it, but I really don't like what I see about the lens not being very good or the lens cap just popping off. I know he would have problems with that issue for sure.

Does anyone out there have this camera...know of someone who does, etc.?

He did mention the Panasonic DMC-FZ18????? Then he started taking Fuji.

My brother has a Nikon PS and isn't happy with it for indoor photos. I really think it may be a setting issue or maybe a "I didn't read the manual"
issue :D , but he is set on getting another camera. So...if anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I did mention the Rebel XT....but he doesn't want to buy lenses. I can't remember if the Powershot S5 can take other lenses....better check that out :scratch

Thanks a bunch...

Comments

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    wave.gif

I have an S5 IS. The FZ18 is comparable, but takes a proprietary battery rather than 4AAs, and has 28-?? equivalent vs. the S5's 36-434. I like the AA's because the S5 is my motorcycle camera, and I can grab spares anywhere if my rechargeables flake out. I bought the wide-angle converter that gets me to 28mm if I feel like hauling it around, but the Panasonic has the clear edge there.

The lens converter is a small cylinder with 58mm threads and ships with a lens hood. I leave it on all the time, so I can use a UV filter, a generic 58mm cover, and/or the hood. The converter is about $40 IIRC, and is well worth it even if you have no need for the wideangle or telephoto lenses.

Pics of my setup:

304617000_VpA4X-L.jpg

304617298_r5RB8-L.jpg

I've had a lot of fun with it. It isn't any better indoors than another P&S, except that you can easily change settings via a dedicated ISO button, ISO shift, manual flash adjustments, and an easily accessed menu for metering modes.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thank you very much for the information. I will pass it along to my brother.
    I'll let him know what a lens converter is :D Its probably something he should get. The hood would be good to.

Do you have problems with the cap falling off?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    I should add that it takes great stereo video, if that is important. you can zoom while recording, and the zoom and focus are quiet enough you barely pick them up in the audio. a 4mb card would yield well over an hour of video.

Dogdots wrote:
    Do you have problems with the cap falling off?

Yes. There is a trim ring on the front of the camera that the cap fits into. The stock lens cap is very loose, and pops off quite easily. So easily that if you accidentally turn the camera on with the lens cap on, the zoom lens will knock it off as it extends forward. I think that was intentional on Canon's part.

That is why the lens converter is great - I bought a generic 58mm lens cap and use it on the end of the converter. It fits will, and with that, the UV lens, and the lens converter, the zoom mechanism itself is pretty well protected. I leave the stock lens cap and the trim ring in the box. lol3.gif
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thanks for the answer on the lens cap.

I'm calling my brother tonight with the information you gave me.

Now it will be up to him on what he gets :D