New Hampshire Coast

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 31, 2008 in Landscapes
I'm on a business trip but I found 20 minutes to spend at this great spot on the coast new Portsmouth (not far from Maine really). This spot had some great rocks/boulders :). Just down the road were some wonderful homes - large and pricey and some small ones too. Too bad I couldn't get some shots of those too. I can't wait to get home and process these on my home pc. For now here's some quick and dirty edits on my laptop...

304649145_JkYYm-L.jpg

304648394_Duvs8-L.jpg

304648222_mGLzy-L.jpg

304648061_ZGMQV-L.jpg

Of course I had to get the mandatory driftwood shot! LOL

304648903_q89Nd-L.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    #1 for me
    I like them all but the first is my favorite. I like the calmer water in the background, as well as the sepia tone. I would hang that one on my wall--nice work!

I like this type of shot a lot, so I will be watching to see if you get any technical critiques so I can learn. I will be in Maine in the fall, with lots of chances to shoot the coast.

Thanks for sharing,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thanks Lauren...regarding the 1st one you liked...

Nikon D200 with Sigma 10-20 lens. f11, 1/80s, Aperature Priority, Spot Metering on the rock in front of me...but it could just as easily have been and usually is for me, Matrix metering. The only thing I really cared about when taking the shot was:

1. Good depth of field (f11 works well on a super wide lens - lots of depth)
    2. Not blowing out the sky.

That's about it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I have a LOT of problem with blown out skies!

kygarden wrote:
    Thanks Lauren...regarding the 1st one you liked...

Nikon D200 with Sigma 10-20 lens. f11, 1/80s, Aperature Priority, Spot Metering on the rock in front of me...but it could just as easily have been and usually is for me, Matrix metering. The only thing I really cared about when taking the shot was:

1. Good depth of field (f11 works well on a super wide lens - lots of depth)
    2. Not blowing out the sky.

That's about it.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Forgot to mention - ISO 100.

If you get blown out skies constantly no matter what you try...switch to manual mode and try "underexposing" it a little but increasing the shutter speed. It may not always get you what you need if your subject is too deep in the shadows or just too dark compared to the sky....but manual mode is a good place to start.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    New Hampshire - Portsmouth
    If you are in Portsmouth, there is a public garden right off the main city area. There are some great old trees and flowers that are breathtakingly beautiful - right near the homes that are on the water that runs just near downtown. I don't recall the name but worthwhile to go over an shoot. I took some photos there of some great trees all twisted (the kind in horror movies) with beautful flower gardens beneath the trees, brick walkways.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com