Black Cherry and Wasp Egg Cases??

DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
edited June 1, 2008 in Holy Macro
I have been told these red appendages on this leaf (Black CHerry Tree?) are Wasp Egg Cases?? If so what kind of Wasp?

304666316_34mzG-L.jpg

C&C Welcome,

Don
Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Anyone?
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Don't know the answer to your question Don but I've often seen these and wondered what they were, Hopefully someone will enlighten us both.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited May 31, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Don't know the answer to your question Don but I've often seen these and wondered what they were, Hopefully someone will enlighten us both.
    Thanks for looking, Jack. I have been told before that they are wasp egg cases, but I don't know what wasp. I think it may be one of those little ones that look a bit like flying ants.

Don
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    I have been told these red appendages on this leaf (Black CHerry Tree?) are Wasp Egg Cases?? If so what kind of Wasp?

C&C Welcome,

Don

Hi Don, I don't know if that's what they are either ne_nau.gif
    Brian will know :D they probably are, cause they sure look like they do not belong there.

Good Find thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Interesting shot- as they are plant galls guess it's possibly caused by a gall wasp (Cypnidae) but a quick google suggests they may actually be caused by an arachnid mite.
    Brian V.
    edited June 1, 2008
    Interesting shot- as they are plant galls guess it's possibly caused by a gall wasp (Cypnidae) but a quick google suggests they may actually be caused by an arachnid mite.
    Brian V.
    Ah, thank you, Brian. I was previously mis-informed, then, or misremember. Seems it was some years ago that someone mentioned to me what they were on a nature walk.

Will see if I can watch for a catch sight of the mites.
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Don