Need some lens advice

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited June 11, 2008 in Cameras
We're going to be spending nearly a week in a lakefront cabin in northern Wisconsin in July (includes a canoe - psyched for this). My parents are driving out (we're flying) and can take some gear so weight/bulk isn't an issue for airline transport.

I have a 100-400 reserved at lensrentals.com. I already own the 70-300. Should I go with a 400/5.6 instead of the 100-400? Hoping for some wildlife shots and some nice landscapes. Or ditch the 100-400 or 400 prime and try the new 4.5# Sigma 150-500 OS for even more reach? Anyone have a 10-22 they'd let go for about 2 weeks this summer?
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• KETCH ROSSIKETCH ROSSI Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Since you mentioned a "canoe" I'll highly recommend "IS".

Also since you will not be in command of your preferred positioning, while in the water, and I'm sure for most of the time, I'll stick with long range zooms, even so my self I have none, as I primeraly shoot only Primes.

Good shooting!

Ciao
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 1, 2008
    Hi Tristan,

I so envy you. clap.gif

The wildlife lenses have been a topic of recent discussion:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=94488

I think all of the following are suitable for different reasons and in different ways:

Canon EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Canon EF 300mm, f/4L IS USM (with and without 1.4x telextender)
    Canon EF 400mm, f/5.6L USM
    Sigma 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX DG APO RF HSM

I have the non-DG version of the "Bigma" 50-500mm, f/4-6.3 EX and it is a true value lens, but it takes filling the frame, careful exposure and careful post processing to get the best from it.

The Sigma APO 150-500mm, F5-6.3 DG OS HSM is a new kid on the block and there are very few samples of images available. Searching PBase I found (you have to scroll down on the page):

http://www.pbase.com/boydog/canon_40d_

Our own Telecorder found the Sigma 150-500mm information:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=93440
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Not sure I'll actually be taking the lens in the canoe, but that's a good thought. I may just go with the 400/5.6 to save weight/money/improve IQ and hope the subjects aren't too far away.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    J: Which Town/Lake are you headed to? Sounds like a wonderful week.

H: Be sure to take the fishing poles!

TristanP wrote:
    Not sure I'll actually be taking the lens in the canoe, but that's a good thought.
    J: You may see Loons, waterbirds, or the occasional Bald Eagle from the canoe. Get up as early as you can, and take your wide angle too for those misty mornings on the lake, or the awesome sunsets (the kit lens will work in a pinch if you stop it down some).

H: My brother and I were in separate canoes 50 feet apart (fishing), when a bald eagle swooped down right between us and grabbed a (formerly) gut-hooked perch we had thrown back.

J: Wish I had had a camera along, but it sure made an impression on us nonetheless. Big Round Lake, Sawyer County, WI.

H: Be sure to tie a line from your camera to a boat cushion PFD, in case (god forbid) you tip though.

TristanP wrote:
    I may just go with the 400/5.6 to save weight/money/improve IQ and hope the subjects aren't too far away.
    J: Can't go wrong with either Canon lens (don't know much about the new Big Sig). Wildlife "Up North" can be a bit wary, since they don't see a lot of people (depending on area).

H: And do NOT forget to go out in the middle of the night and kick back at the end of the dock (after the skeeters are gone) to take in those starry starry skies.

Have a fun trip,
    J&H
    edited June 1, 2008
    Thanks J&H. We'll be staying somewhere in the Chetek area - Mom made the arrangements. None of us are really fishing people, so it'll be a lot of relaxing on the shore I guess. I intend to make this the best photo expedition I can, since it'll be a long time before we get this opportunity again. Hence my slight obsession over which lenses to take.

You mention skeeters - and advice for dealing with them?

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited June 4, 2008
    Update
    Cabin owner reports a large bald eagle nest just down the lake. He doesn't know if it's accessible by land. My most recent plan was to rent the 400/5.6 and a 1.4TC (yes, it'll lose AF on my 20D in most if not all light), but with this recent news, the Sigma 150-500 OS keeps pulling at me - the range and stabilization. The 400 alone would be great for BIF shots, assuming I can get close enough. Dilemmas!

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Personally, if it was me, I'd go with the 100-400mm for ther versatility.
    Have a fun trip.
  • Pedahel7Pedahel7 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2008
    Since you mentioned nice landscapes
    Hi Tristan,

I went on vacation last year to Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP and picked up a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM lense for my landscapes. I was very satisfied with the results. I used the Sigma 70-300 for my animal shots, and that was ok, but I would have liked a longer, faster lens for that.

Here are shots that I took from that trip. A majority where with the Sigma 10-20mm. (Canon's wide angle is nice as well, but when I compared cost to other shots I had seen I liked the Sigma)

http://www.pbase.com/rcannata7/grandteton_yellowstone
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    Pedahel7, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for sharing your experience and link to the images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited June 5, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion Pedahel7. I am fortunate enough to be able to borrow a friend's 10-22 for our trip, but I have heard good things about the Sigma. At this point, I'm leaning toward just keeping my 100-400 reservation, but I'm not sure yet.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    heck, just get them all! you know you want them all!
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    If you want the best possible reach and image quality, go with the 400 prime.

For more versatilty, the 300 f4 and a 1.4 extender.

If you want only one lens, the 100-400, Sigma 50-500. The lens comes down your personal preference. If you are happy with the 70-300 and are going to take it, I would go with the 400 prime.

I would get the 50-500 or the 150-500 if you like get into unprepared situations and you need versatility. I have found for wildlife purposes like chasing down raptors and birds, I use the full extension of whatever I have on and only use wide angle for the artsy stuff.
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    TristanP wrote:
    Thanks J&H. We'll be staying somewhere in the Chetek area.
    J: Nice area. I used to hang out a lot on the big lakes north of there (Hayward area).

TristanP wrote:
    None of us are really fishing people
    H: Gives you more time to shoot!

TristanP wrote:
    I intend to make this the best photo expedition I can... Hence my slight obsession over which lenses to take.
    J: Absolutely. The key to getting the shots on trips like this is to have the right lens on the camera at the right time.

H: I still recommend the 100-400 for that reason, if nothing else.

TristanP wrote:
    You mention skeeters - and advice for dealing with them?
    J: RUN!!! rolleyes1.gif

H: Jeans, jean jacket, and a hat in the early A.M and in the evening. Deet works well, but keep it away from your equipment (and hands). Remember: "Deet Eats."

J: Smoke from a campfire helps too. But sometimes you just can't avoid them. Take some Benadryl along. And some beer.

H: Check for ticks before bed too. :uhoh

Cheers,
    J&H
    edited June 11, 2008
    Thanks again for the advice J&H and everyone else.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72