Options

RAW in Lightroom

gwendolyngwendolyn Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited June 1, 2008 in Finishing School
I shot my first shots in RAW yesterday because I knew some would have some overexposure and I wanted some room to edit them.

So I imported them into Lightroom just the regular way and they don't seem to be in RAW. (The extentions say jpeg)

How do I know they are in RAW? Is there a certain way to edit them in RAW or do I just edit them the regular way? Will I then have more room to edit?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    I shot my first shots in RAW yesterday because I knew some would have some overexposure and I wanted some room to edit them.

So I imported them into Lightroom just the regular way and they don't seem to be in RAW. (The extentions say jpeg)

How do I know they are in RAW? Is there a certain way to edit them in RAW or do I just edit them the regular way? Will I then have more room to edit?

Thanks in advance!

Light room now opens jpgs also....did you shoot in the raw/jpg combo and accidently open the jpg file.....Lok in you stored files and mouse over a couple to see what windows recognizes them as (if your on PC if on Mac...I don't know if this will work)..................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    What camera? Was it set to RAW + JPEG? A Nikon should produse .nef/.NEF raws and a Canon does .cr2/CR2 or the like.

More info is needed to figure out what is going on for you. What version of LR? The latest is 1.4.1.

If you shot RAW + JPEG and your camera's RAW's are not supported (too new a camera or too old a version of LR) only the JPEG would be imported.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Okay so I shot some in JPEGs and some in RAW.

I have the newest version of Lightroom.

My camera is a 40D
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    How are you downloading? Camera connection or card reader? If the former then try the recommended way which is card reader.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Check your Lightroom settings: Preferences>Import...check the box that says "Treat JPEG files next to Raw files as separate photos'.

This will make sure that both the RAW and JPEG photos show in the Library. For me, this setting usually made my JPEGs not show thru, but its worth a shot.

Also, if you havent done this, rt click on a thumbnail in Library, and check 'File extension' so you can be sure what type of file it is (easier than looking at details)
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    ???
    Okay I uploaded them through a card reader. I think they all are in JPEG. How is that possible?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    Okay I uploaded them through a card reader. I think they all are in JPEG. How is that possible?
    I think your settings didn't stick. Check your camera again to make sure that it is set to RAW?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I went back and forth to the auto mode and the "P" mode. In the P mode I set the camera to RAW+L. When I was in this mode, I noticed that I could take a lot less pictures, so I thought it was working. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    I went back and forth to the auto mode and the "P" mode. In the P mode I set the camera to RAW+L. When I was in this mode, I noticed that I could take a lot less pictures, so I thought it was working. headscratch.gif
    Auto mode doesn't save RAW most likely, at least my 30d doesn't so I'm assuming that's the same on the 40d.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    I didn't expect the pictures I took in auto to be in RAW, but I thought the pictures I took in "P" would be in RAW. Can I not switch back and forth like that?
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:

P mode (on all the Canon's I've owned) do allow Raw but green square doesn't.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Okay, so are my photos in RAW or not? headscratch.gif They all have a JPEG extension in Lightroom. Did I just not import them correctly?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    Okay, so are my photos in RAW or not? headscratch.gif They all have a JPEG extension in Lightroom.

JPEG.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 1, 2008
    RAWs will have a .CR2 at the end of the file name
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Did I import them incorrectly or did they not record in RAW? Is there a way to find out?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    Did I import them incorrectly or did they not record in RAW? Is there a way to find out?

You can't import them in something they are not initially, seems like you set the camera for JPEGs.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Auto mode doesn't save RAW most likely, at least my 30d doesn't so I'm assuming that's the same on the 40d.

Correct Ivar. In the 'dummy modes' the camera will only save JPEG, no matter how you have the camera set. In P, Av, Tv, and M, the camera will save both JPEG and RAW. This is likely what is happening.

try shooting in P mode, you will get RAW
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Light room now opens jpgs also....
    Lightroom has always opened JPGs, certainly since beta 2 when I started using it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Correct Ivar. In the 'dummy modes' the camera will only save JPEG, no matter how you have the camera set. In P, Av, Tv, and M, the camera will save both JPEG and RAW. This is likely what is happening.

try shooting in P mode, you will get RAW

Okay, that is what I did, I shot in the P mode and I set the pictures to RAW, but I also shot in a the "auto" mode.

Why did they all import in jpeg?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    Okay, I put the card reader back into my camera and looked at the metadata and some of the photos read RAW + L, and some just say L.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    The "prosumer" cameras have 2 automatic modes.

One is "P" which lets you tweak some settings.

The other is the GREEN BOX OF DEATH which is FULL auto. You really can't choose ANYTHING, and the camera WILL NOT shoot RAW in this mode. It will ONLY shoot JPEG.

Stay off the green box. Always. It's cripple mode on the camera. P mode offers the same thing but lets your camera settings like RAW mode stick.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    gwendolyn wrote:
    Okay, I put the card reader back into my camera and looked at the metadata and some of the photos read RAW + L, and some just say L.

Sorry Gwendolyn, but I am very confused. Not sure what you mean by 'putting your card reader back in your camera"? And you should not need to look at metadata: just look at the files on your memory card: there should be .cr2 and .jpg files there. If you shot in RAW+JPEG, then you should have IMG_0001.CR2 and IMG_0001.JPG on the card.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Sorry Gwendolyn, but I am very confused. Not sure what you mean by 'putting your card reader back in your camera"? And you should not need to look at metadata: just look at the files on your memory card: there should be .cr2 and .jpg files there. If you shot in RAW+JPEG, then you should have IMG_0001.CR2 and IMG_0001.JPG on the card.

Okay, sorry I meant that I put my memory card back into my camera.

You see I looked at the files on my computer and they all have jpeg extensions.

When I put my card back into my camera, it says that some of the files are RAW+L and some are just L.