Options

Selective Attention

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Was playing around
305169693_WPmfc-L.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    If your done fooling lets eat. :D Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Very good.....looks yummy to thumb.gif
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Was playing around

That's a very good shot Awais, it definitely screams EAT ME clap.gif
    Excellent use of selective colouring thumb.gif gosh that's sharp! .. Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Howdy Awais,

Very nicely done, I really like the colors, and the sharp focus on the watermelon.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Was playing around

Hi Awais, long time!

Glad to see you having fun with your new 40D. And thanks for posting this.

I must say I don't think it's as good as it could be. Your starting idea is great - the clean geometric shapes-patterns, the color contrast, the coolness (it's 45 deg outside, so it's making my mouth water! Laughing.gif).

But...

It's flat. DOF reaches the watermelon and then phht! The melon is not a 3D object but a 2D shape - no volume, no shadow. It's positioning in the frame, nearly joining the two sides and filling most of the space top to bottom paralyses the image. I feel I could touch the slice of melon, but not pick it up and eat it.

A longer DOF would set the slice in a 3D volume. Shadow would give the slice volume, and depending on what you did with the shadow, could echo the geometric lines in the image, making it a little more satisfyingly complex for the eye.

If your viewpoint was higher over the slice and a little to one side you could also get volume, more geometry and therefore more complexity and interest.

Setting the slice on a green and white plate of a suitable shape, getting in closer to the slice at one point so the texture was distinct and perhaps capturing beads of moisture on the surface, would all add impact, dimension and complexity - therefore more interest and satisfaction.

If you want to keep on the "minimalist-abstract" path, then I think you should go down it a bit further. A grainier, or more plastic treatment, unrealistic contrast, even blowing out the white of the rind, in PP might be fun to try.

As I said, you have a great starting point, but you have not yet had enough fun with it. Go wild, young man! :D

Best regards to you, and looking forward to seeing more from you again soon (maybe in the new challenges?).

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Thanks All and Neil for valuable input i will try that mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery