flying with a camera

starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited June 5, 2008 in Cameras
When flying I was wondering how I should take my camera/lenses through security. Is it bad for them to go through the xray machine thing that my shoes/belt/coat etc are going through? Thx

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Are you using film?

Digital it will be fine, the only real worry is the physical handling of the gear. If you are worried about data, back it up before hand. But I never had issues with my CF cards, all full, going through the security check in.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    its a digital camera. rebel xti. i wasn't sure if the xray could damage anything inside the camera. thanks
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    Fly, carry your camera through Xray, no troubles.
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    When I flew out to VA in February I had no troubel at all going through security, the only pain was pulling the camera out of the bag for every check... Only once was my bag held for a moment, but it was because the cords I had in there were wound up around something solid and looked wierd on xray. Just watch how you pack everything and you should zip though.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    its a digital camera. rebel xti. i wasn't sure if the xray could damage anything inside the camera. thanks

X-rays are no danger to digital camera or cards, which is a much better situation than when we had to safeguard our film from x-rays.

My Rebel XT has gone through security numerous times in its case my backpack.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    My Canon G9 has gone through security & x-ray about 150-200 times lol3.gif so far, and I've seen no effect.

They don't need to be taken out of the bag, like your laptop, just keep them in the bag and you should be fine thumb.gif
    edited June 2, 2008
    I tried leaving mine in the bag, security said that was a no-no... Hmmm headscratch.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I've been through TSA security checkpoints a number of times. Each time, I have all my gear in a Pelican casa - 2 bodies, anywhere between 4 and 8 lenses, 2 flashes, light meter, memory cards, etc. Only once have I been held up by TSA so they could open and inspect; even then, all they did was swab the case and some of the padding for explosive residue (I'm guessing).

The X-Ray scanner (if that's what it is) does not damage either the camera or the memory cards (whether they have been "exposed" or not). In all cases, I got where I was going with all data intact.

But, you don't carry them through the security checkpoint. Camera gear, just like everything else, much go through the scanner while you go through a different scanning device.

Bottom line - no worries.:D
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    I tried leaving mine in the bag, security said that was a no-no... Hmmm headscratch.gif

I don't think TSA is capable of consistently enforcing a coherent policy. Take shoes--sometimes I have to take them off, sometimes I don't. It seems to depend on who's working the line. Twice I've had to open the camera bag, but most times I haven't. You're usually better off leaving it in the bag until they ask you to open it.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I carried my cameras and lenses thru the custom in many different countries not less than 100 times. So far, so issues with the digital SLR or its CF cards.
    Even I was pickup for SSS (a special mark on the boarding pass) for the passenger to go thru the "full" search, they just use the swab to clear my laptop and the side of the carry on bag, never open my camera or lens pouch for detail inspection.

Just to be careful that some of shoes has a piece of metal in the sole which could trigger the metal detector. Try to find a pair of shoes without metal plate inside, such as the walking shoes or sports. Empty you pocket before enter the detector so you will not be subject "body hand-search" in some airport. Manila, Phillippines is very famous to use "hand" to conduct body search.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I fly on business two to three weeks every month. I will often carry my camera gear with me as well. The biggest issue you may have is if you have any liquid (lens cleaner) in your bag and forget to take it out to be scanned separately. Fortunately, TSA does not treat DSLR's the same as laptops.

I'm traveling to London and Germany later this month, so hopefully I have the same luck carrying my gear on board.

Dale
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    X-ray vs metal detector
    Never carry your camera or flash memory through metal detectors. I have no first hand knowledge, but have been warned against it by knowledgeable technical types. X-rays are OK, so just put it on the belt and you're fine, but if you run into a situation where you would be allowed to carry your camera through a metal detector (big honking magnetic fields) pass on it and hand your camera bag to an attendent/officer for manual inspection.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited June 3, 2008
    The officers usually do not allow any hand carry bag to go thru the metal detector. We were asked to empty the pocket, leave all the contents in a tray before enter the detector.
    Unless I forgot about the CF card in my shirt pocket, otherwise it should be safely kept in the camera bag. The magnetic field strenght in the metal detector is not strong enough to erase the memory card. Try it with a small comprass and go near the detector, it hardly moves.
    My friends working in the Xray company did tellme that the amount of radiation in the security check point is low and the EM wave from the X-ray machine cause no harm to the electronic gadgets including the memory cards.
    Photoskipper
  • M500M500 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Good info. I'm new to DSLR world. Looking to flying with it soon this summer.
    Canon For Life! :ivar
    EOS 40D
    Tamron 17~50mm F2.8 Di II
    EF 28~135mm IS USM
    EF 50mm F1.8 II

Wish List:
    1. Canon EF 70~200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    2. Canon EF 24~70mm f/2.8L USM
    3. Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
    edited June 5, 2008
    mwgrice wrote:
    I don't think TSA is capable of consistently enforcing a coherent policy..

You've got a point there... rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 5, 2008
    M500 wrote:
    Good info. I'm new to DSLR world. Looking to flying with it soon this summer.

Next time when you fly, try to get a window seat and keep your camera handy. Load the 28-70 lens. try to take some photo thru the window at the mid-air.
    The cloud, the sunrise or sunset, even after sunset, will give a lot of fun.
    Photoskipper
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Just got back from Vietnam. Had to take the camera out everytime I went thru security. No problems, just time consuming taking out the camera, taking off my shoes, hat, hoodie sweatshirt, clean out the pockets. I had anywhere from 3 to 4 tubs to handle while my wife had to take the laptop out everytime as well.

Be sure when walking thru security to have the correct boarding pass in your hand, otherwise you get visited by Bubba. rolleyes1.gif

Had to take them out at FWA, ORD, LAX. In Hong Kong, I also had to take them out then before boarding the plane, they searched all carry-ons. Even had to take the camera out in Viet Nam. On my return from Viet Nam I was a pro at taking the camera out of the bag.

Oh and all 906 photos were still on my CF cards and Laptop. thumb.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I recently got searched by the TSA and had my camera gear swabbed. I forgot to take off my belt. went back took it off and didn't beep afterwards. The agent asked if I beeped afterwards he was told no. Then he patted me down and this lady walked my gear over to swab. eek7.gif

I didn't feel like complaining to the superviser because I just didn't want any more trouble. it was 6:20 AM. I was tired and groggy.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com