Options

First try at HDR

josephbjosephb Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 2, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Hi all, I'm a relatively new smugmug user and forum member.

Not sure how everyone feels about HDR, I suppose you love it or hate it. I've had a chance on a couple of occasions recently to do some basic experimentation, it's a different form of art :D

Both of the following pics were put together with Photomatix plus some minor tone mapping.

First day of autumn (fall), Sunset at Glenelg, South Australia.

305110401_5eSAn-L.jpg

Last day of autumn (fall), Adelaide Hils, South Australia.

304959075_Nntim-L.jpg

Take care,

Joseph

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    josephb wrote:
    Hi all, I'm a relatively new smugmug user and forum member.

Not sure how everyone feels about HDR, I suppose you love it or hate it. I've had a chance on a couple of occasions recently to do some basic experimentation, it's a different form of art :D

Both of the following pics were put together with Photomatix plus some minor tone mapping.

First day of autumn (fall), Sunset at Glenelg, South Australia.
    Last day of autumn (fall), Adelaide Hils, South Australia.

Take care,
    Joseph

Hi there Joseph, and welcome to the Dgrin Forum :D
    I've had a little play around with Photomatrix you can have a lot of fun with that program.

I prefer the first shot over the second one, not keen on the colour of the wood in the second shot.

That's a real nice sunset you got there ... nice to see another Ozzie on board clap.gif keep posting, and enjoy the forums thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    Skippy wrote:
    I prefer the first shot over the second one, not keen on the colour of the wood in the second shot.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah probably a bit over saturated, with HDR you can get some fairly polarised likes and dislikes mwink.gif

Seeya round!

Joseph
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Yea, there aren't too many fence-sitters when it comes to HDR. Too many folks employ it to the extreme, for my taste. It certainly has a place when trying to salvage an otherwise lost picture.....or at least one that needs a lot of help to maximize dynamic range. It is absolutely a prime case of different strokes for different folks.

I like your first picture.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    It certainly has a place when trying to salvage an otherwise lost picture.....or at least one that needs a lot of help to maximize dynamic range.

If you shoot in RAW you can try and make a HDR pic from just the one shot, but it's far better when deliberate and planned.

Cheers,

Joseph
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I love HDR!!!!! There is alot of resistance to it...but it will be the norm and will eventually be an option in most cameras, you watch...there are nay-sayers, but it will be a force to be reckoned with...but like someone else said, different strokes for different folks.

I enjoy all types of HDR, from more real to the extreme, I really enjoy the 1st photo..the 2nd does not do to much for me...
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    Hi josephb...

No question about your observation. If your intent from the get-go is HDR, the multi-shot approach is the only way to go. I have seen some raw, single shot HDR that came out OK but it was purely a case of trying to salvage the picture.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.