Options

What paper to use...at SmugMug...

Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
edited June 10, 2008 in Finishing School
I currently have a shoot on smugmug and am using their printing services. I'm doing color and black and white. They offer glossy, luster, and matte.

I read now that they are using kodak papers that luster is the pro paper, and matte does well with black and white...

Will luster work for black and white...or do I need to use matte. I'm inclinded to use luster for all of my prints, both color and black and white.

Weigh in...advice and experience comments welcome. What do you think of their print services vice the others?

Thanks, Ed
Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I think semi-gloss/luster is fine for b/w. I tend to favor semi-gloss/luster for most of my prints. I print at home and haven't used smugmug's service so I'm generalizing here.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2008
    What paper to print on...
    I have been using Epson Premium Luster at home...on my Epson 2200...but would like the locals here to comment on the SmugMug print quality and their experiences using SmugMug Services.

Thanks for you response...

Ed
  • Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    My limited experience
    I have only printed a couple of things since they made the switch from Fuji to Kodak (that happened relatively recently) but what I have printed has been in matte (which looked quite good) and lustre (which looked fantastic!) Unfortunately I was only printing a small number of prints and they were all color, not black and white.

So the only thing I can say for sure is that the lustre looked great in color.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Matte or Lustre for the BWs. True Color.

deal.gif

I got your pm.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Matte or Lustre for the BWs. True Color.quote]

Thanks Andy. I'm glad I asked. I had all my BW's set for, "auto."

Ed
  • Options
    camera ladycamera lady Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Ed911 wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Matte or Lustre for the BWs. True Color.quote]

Thanks Andy. I'm glad I asked. I had all my BW's set for, "auto."

I LOVE lustre for color and BW! I have been very pleased.
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    I've ordered luster for all of my SmugMug prints and have been very satisfied. Haven't ordered any b&w prints yet, but I did order a more-or-less monochromatic print with luster and it came out great. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    Kodak papers
    Thanks Andy for your advice.

I received my first Kodak order. My client's comment after view them, "amazing."

More importantly, color wise, on luster paper, they were what I expected to see.

Behind the scenes: Color corrected monitor. Then, I color correct all of my work before posting on SmugMug. Then I allow EZ prints to color adjust by selecting "auto."

For black and whites, I use true color.

Ed