306312605_YNN3T-XL.jpg

7. Portrait:

306312682_fZcav-XL.jpg

Enjoy!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Now that's great shooting Nik! I love how you used your lighting in these....lots of dynamics and ohhh, great poses....super model. These are right up my alley. Excellent! I love that first one.....holy moly that's cool. #3 is classy, elegant, and mmmmmmmmmmmm.....fabulous.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Nik..im not into portraits at all so i wont comment there but i doubt there is any one on the board that has progressed so far & so fast with lighting.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I like 3, 5, 6, and 7. thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I agree, very nice photos, poses & model!! iloveyou.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    jeez nikolai, your a man on a mission! and good for you!!
    just as gus has said....your moving so fast!
    wasnt it just the other day your were looking fo a lighting set-up to try out?....edited the little joke...not as funny as the first time...
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Now that's great shooting Nik! I love how you used your lighting in these....lots of dynamics and ohhh, great poses....super model. These are right up my alley. Excellent! I love that first one.....holy moly that's cool. #3 is classy, elegant, and mmmmmmmmmmmm.....fabulous.
    Thanks David, thumb.gif

I guess my little DIY softbox for hairlight finally worked! rolleyes1.gif
    It's amazing what you can with $5 if you spend them wisely. Lamp shade, inverted harp, dual-length patch of paper towel and two patches of an old trusty gaffer tape to hold it.. Et voila! mwink.gif

305418026_efAQu-XL.jpg

Technically I need to line it up with foil (another huge $0.02 investment), but I'm still working on the attachement details, current one is only just working...
    edited June 3, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Nik..im not into portraits at all so i wont comment there but i doubt there is any one on the board that has progressed so far & so fast with lighting.
    Wow, Gus... I'm speechless! bowdown.gif Thanks, mate! thumb.gif
    edited June 3, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I like 3, 5, 6, and 7. thumb.gif
    Thank you, kind sir! ;-)clap.gif
    edited June 3, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I agree, very nice photos, poses & model!! iloveyou.gif
    Angie, thanks! thumb.gif
    For some reason I think it was mostly model, but I take the whole package:-) mwink.gif
    edited June 3, 2008
    jeez nikolai, your a man on a mission! and good for you!!
    just as gus has said....your moving so fast!
    wasnt it just the other day your were looking fo a lighting set-up to try out?....edited the little joke...not as funny as the first time...

Aaron, thanks man!

Well, I guess I should thank dgrin and dgrinners for that. Many shared the original wisdom (I cannot possible name everybody here, but Yuri, Shay and LiquidAir were absolutely instrumental for this), Kathy let me handle her ProFoto setup (I ended up getting similar one), and then everybody was nice and supportive with thier feedback and constructive and honest with their critique... All I had to do was shoot, present, listen and try to follow the good advice...deal.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    gus wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif He's keeping better company, too. :D
    edited June 3, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif He's keeping better company, too. :D
    That's the main incentive. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    WOW, I really like them all but DAMN Nik #7 is outstanding. bowdown.gif

Have to agree with the comments above, your lighting skills are awsome thumb.gif
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited June 7, 2008
    WOW, I really like them all but DAMN Nik #7 is outstanding. bowdown.gif

Have to agree with the comments above, your lighting skills are awsome thumb.gif

Thanks much, Jeff, appreciate it!
    I guess it helps to have a better model, too:-)
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    The lighting is great and you used fabrics like a stud! thumb.gif I love the set, the theme, the glow, the light and the model herself. She looks a bit cold/frozen and uncomfortable? Was she a new model or is she as young as she looks? Softboxes seem to be another necessary evil... grrr the expenses.
    edited June 13, 2008
    The lighting is great and you used fabrics like a stud! thumb.gif I love the set, the theme, the glow, the light and the model herself. She looks a bit cold/frozen and uncomfortable? Was she a new model or is she as young as she looks? Softboxes seem to be another necessary evil... grrr the expenses.

Thanks again!thumb.gif

She was a bit uncomfortable I think. There were two photogs (me and my buddy), I think we were pushing her a little bit too much in different directions. But she followed them well. Also it was her first shoot with any of us, there is almost always some tension. Yes, she's young, but she has some experience under her belt...

Well, you know how it is. First you think advanced P&S are expensive. Then you think dLSR are expensive, but you want one, cause all P&S suck. Then you understand that the good glass is really expensive, yet you manage to get some. And only then you become to understand that it is the light that you are really after, and that's when you really have to start spending $$$. mwink.gif
    edited June 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks again!thumb.gif

She was a bit uncomfortable I think. There were two photogs (me and my buddy), I think we were pushing her a little bit too much in different directions. But she followed them well. Also it was her first shoot with any of us, there is almost always some tension. Yes, she's young, but she has some experience under her belt...

Well, you know how it is. First you think advanced P&S are expensive. Then you think dLSR are expensive, but you want one, cause all P&S suck. Then you understand that the good glass is really expensive, yet you manage to get some. And only then you become to understand that it is the light that you are really after, and that's when you really have to start spending $$$. mwink.gif

That last part there... that's where I am. I have improvised light right now. I mostly use the sun. I have a D80, 18/55mm lens kit, macbook pro, iphoto, and two floourescents and two construction flood lights... and now I need strobes. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed strobes and want to whack my lights and wish I'd just saved my money and bought strobes.
    You live? You hopefully learn. I'll two more outdoor photoshoots coming up. Both experienced models, one of them is my friend so we are pretty relaxed.
    edited June 13, 2008
    That last part there... that's where I am. I have improvised light right now. I mostly use the sun. I have a D80, 18/55mm lens kit, macbook pro, iphoto, and two floourescents and two construction flood lights... and now I need strobes. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed strobes and want to whack my lights and wish I'd just saved my money and bought strobes.
    You live? You hopefully learn. I'll two more outdoor photoshoots coming up. Both experienced models, one of them is my friend so we are pretty relaxed.
    Been there, I mean, with the worklights and such deal.gif . Did pretty good, actually. You simply need to know and understand your limitations and use them to your advantage. Not enough light? Go dramatic. Do partial lighting. Or silhouette, or contre-a-jour.... Young chicks dig it, so do guys...
    edited June 13, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Been there, I mean, with the worklights and such deal.gif . Did pretty good, actually. You simply need to know and understand your limitations and use them to your advantage. Not enough light? Go dramatic. Do partial lighting. Or silhouette, or contre-a-jour.... Young chicks dig it, so do guys...

Guys dig young chicks. You can quote me on that. That's sage knowledge and wisdom I dun dropped on yer head there.clap.gif
    I was thinking[ because it'a going to be at night and at a pool] to use the pool lights for uplighting and softness and underwater [obviously] and the construction lights are some snoots or some reflected bounces.... and then some half in light stuff. It's all in my head. I'd post my drawings... but that doesn't seem right for a photography forum.
    edited June 13, 2008
    Guys dig young chicks. You can quote me on that. That's sage knowledge and wisdom I dun dropped on yer head there.clap.gif
    I was thinking[ because it'a going to be at night and at a pool] to use the pool lights for uplighting and softness and underwater [obviously] and the construction lights are some snoots or some reflected bounces.... and then some half in light stuff. It's all in my head. I'd post my drawings... but that doesn't seem right for a photography forum.

Pool lights are very weak. You'll be getting in high ISO levels or risking motion blur on model's account. Make sure you'll get enough light before you start inviting models :-)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Go dramatic. Do partial lighting. Or silhouette, or contre-a-jour.... Young chicks dig it, so do guys...

Ok Nik...edumacate me now.....what the heck is....... contre-a-jour .... dang I even googled it hoping for definition.....but all i found was pointing to this thread and another photogs site...but no definitions............
    We be kinda bass ackwards here in Kan sass ya see :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 14, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ok Nik...edumacate me now.....what the heck is....... contre-a-jour .... dang I even googled it hoping for definition.....but all i found was pointing to this thread and another photogs site...but no definitions............
    We be kinda bass ackwards here in Kan sass ya see :D
    Art,
    this is an old French art term, English translation being: "against the light" (100% verbatim being "against the day[light]").
    Silhouettes are extreme examples of a contre-a-jour images.
    HTH
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Art,
    this is an old French art term, English translation being: "against the light" (100% verbatim being "against the day[light]").
    Silhouettes are extreme examples of a contre-a-jour images.
    HTH
    That is what I was thinking but since you mentioned silhouettes before hand I got cornfused a bit..........

Thanx for clearing this up for me...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    You've outdone yourself, Nikolai! These are fantastic! I like the first three best, with number three being my absolute favorite!

I can't wait to get myself some lights and get back to work like this again! Soon, my friend. I'll have them soon. mwink.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited June 15, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    You've outdone yourself, Nikolai! These are fantastic! I like the first three best, with number three being my absolute favorite!

I can't wait to get myself some lights and get back to work like this again! Soon, my friend. I'll have them soon. mwink.gif
    Thanks, Lee, you're very kind!
    Lights definitely help. And yes, all those fancy modifiers do make a huge difference. But, gosh, are they expensive...