baldfaced hornet

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited June 3, 2008 in Holy Macro
Well I haven't posted a macro here before but I have been lurking for a few days and longing for a macro lens. This is a pic of a hornet I took today using a Nikon D300 camera with a nikkor 55mm lens at 200 iso, ss 1/200 and 5.6f. It was cropped to 1:1

As soon as I learn what kind of macro lens I will need to get the result that I have seen here on this board...I will be alot better at this. C n C is good and appreciated. This hornet actually turned on me after snapping this pic and buzzed me before flying away. Scared the bejeebers out of me!
306357056_tfWpb-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Good capture. :) welcome to the forum .

A view more from the side or more head on will look more interesting.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Good capture. :) welcome to the forum .

A view more from the side or more head on will look more interesting.

Thanks Vertinari. I did manage to snap one when he turned to buzz me...but it came out really blurry as I jumped!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    Well I haven't posted a macro here before but I have been lurking for a few days and longing for a macro lens. This is a pic of a hornet I took today using a Nikon D300 camera with a nikkor 55mm lens at 200 iso, ss 1/200 and 5.6f. It was cropped to 1:1

As soon as I learn what kind of macro lens I will need to get the result that I have seen here on this board...I will be alot better at this. C n C is good and appreciated. This hornet actually turned on me after snapping this pic and buzzed me before flying away. Scared the bejeebers out of me!

Hi there Jag, he didn't like getting his Butt photographed hey rolleyes1.gif
    Lucky it didn't sting you.

Good Butt shot, but as Brian said the faces and side profiles make for better shots.

Hope you find another one that is not so agressive that will let you photograph it's face next time thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    welcome to the forum Jag, good attempt, bad tempered buggers arnt they.
    had a close shave with two on monday, no shots taken:cry
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    welcome to the forum Jag, good attempt, bad tempered buggers arnt they.
    had a close shave with two on monday, no shots taken:cry
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/

An excellent shot. Well done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 3, 2008
    Thank you all. I wish I could have been braver with this fellow but he was too aggressive and I a big chicken!:D I have pics of bees that I have taken...they are more docile than this guy was.