City natural phenomenon

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Landscapes
Not sure its a right place for this post...
Dont know about your places, but I want to share with you what we have here, in Voronezh, 500 from Moscow.
Every year, last days of May - June we have. Poplar down.
In the 60-th a lot of poplars were planted here.
They said that this tree gives maximum of oxygen.
The only inconvenience - this down.
Its everywhere - the wind drives it from place to place. It lays on the roads (and kids like to fire it), its in your nose, ears.
Its in your car and your house.
During last years some of this poplars were cut down...
But some are still here - so we have a kind of snow in the summer...

6937.jpg
6938.jpg
6939.jpg
6940.jpg
6941.jpg

--
Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Hi Yuri, thank you for sharing with us this small but important detail of Voronezh!

I've never seen such a thing before, or knew that it happened with these trees. So it is a naturally-occurring phenomenon? I am going to do some research now because I find it biologically and evolutionarily fascinating.

thumb.gif
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Years ago I saw such "poplar down" (which is why those trees were called cottonwood trees by many) here and there, but I have not seen any in almost 50 years. I'm thinking they were mainly an import here in North America from Europe, but am not sure. I do know that those trees were said to be able to "detoxify" soil and air in polluted areas, and remember my grandmother having some "poplar down" pillows and quilts she had made.

Your photos are good and very interesting ... I have never seen so much poplar down at one time and, in fact, had almost forgetten seeing it back in the late 1950s as a pre-teen.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    we dont get it that bad, but my kids get to chase floating cotton type seeds everywhere once a year....
    Aaron Nelson
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    It looks so beautiful...yet I can see it being a messy problem.

You photographed it very well thumb.gif
  • kworkkwork Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    I've heard of Cottonwood trees, but never seen them or at least never knew what I was looking at if I did see them.

Yuri, I think you've taken some wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Can we see some more of the architecture of your town?
    Kevin

D50 ■ 17-55 f/2.8 ■ 50 f/1.8 ■ 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S ■ SB-800 ■ SB-600 ■ Hoya Filters ■ Manfrotto legs and head ■ Kata R-103 Rucksack

My SmugMug
    My Project 366 :ivar