CH36- Laser Heart

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 12, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on this one? I pointed a red laser at a small clear crystal heart. I was impressed with how the fine beam spread throughout the faceted crystal.

mitch

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Well, the silence is deafening on this one!!rolleyes1.gif

Back to the drawing board for me.

mitch
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 11, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch
    Hey Mitchell,

I was going to post a comment yesterday but was flat out.

I do think it's a good idea, but there probably somethings you could do to improve this shot. Firstly, I think the heart overwhelms the photo, perhaps try zooming out a bit and leaving some space (using the rule of thirds as a guide).

Can you post the EXIF info for the shot, there seems to be alot of noise in the shot...perhaps you could go for a longer exposure or use neatimage,etc.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:

mitch

Sorry Mitchell, I hate that when no one gives feedback, so to avoid being a hipocrit here goes. From a technical perspective I can appreciate how cool it is that a single beam of light bends and bounces so much that It can light up an entire object, but for me, the object is too, well too much like a heart with a bow on it. In other words, it's too cute for my taste. What if you took one of your camera lenses and put the laser through it (wait, don't do that, I'm not sure what it'll do to the lens, but you get my drift, lasers and hearts just don't mix. Sorry for the silence, it's the worst of all, I'll try not to let that happen again.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Sorry about the lag time in responding... I just haven't been around ( I hate that deafening silence, too)!
    Thoughts: I like the concept! Agree that there is much noise, esp the background. Maybe try making the crystal appear to be more in the distance? Something that catches the eye and draws it in? What about a more subtle amount of light coming from within the heart and shining out? Have you tried pointing more than one color light at it? Competing colors could create a little movement.
    Just my $.02. Thanks for the post!
    ~mel
  • Peter DumontPeter Dumont Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Hello Mitchell !
    Mitchell wrote:
    Any thoughts on this one? I pointed a red laser at a small clear crystal heart. I was impressed with how the fine beam spread throughout the faceted crystal.

mitch
    An interesting experiment Mitchell.
    I was wondering what that laser heart would look like if you'd put it in a box of mirrors : ) .

Bye,

Peter Dumont