First attempt

Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited June 9, 2008 in Sports
This is my first attempt at posting t-ball pics of my sons team. I'll be giving the parents the link to view and buy the pics they want. At the time of this posting, pics are still be uploaded, gota run. I didn't process all the pics as I wanted to, life got in the way and this Wed is the last game. PLEASE C&C. Thanks!
http://www.happyvalleyphoto.com/gallery/5021129_4zVna#306589824_H4Q94

edit: and I'm still working on the site, most links go back to the home page for now...
5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
http://www.happyvalleyphotography.com

Comments

• donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    If you intend to make any money off your shots, you'll want to watermark them, make it so they can't download the original by setting your largest size as large, and check the protected radio button. This is all done under customize gallery.

I'd reverse the order of your shots. The better ones are at the end of the gallery. The first ones are unlikely to impress people. I'd move to ISO 400. You'll be more successfull at stopping the action.

You'll probably get a lot more feedback if you post your best shots here, rather than providing a link. Most people won't bother with clicking on an external link unless they have a lot of time on their hands.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Grumpy_oneGrumpy_one Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    donek wrote:
    If you intend to make any money off your shots, you'll want to watermark them, make it so they can't download the original by setting your largest size as large, and check the protected radio button. This is all done under customize gallery.

I'd reverse the order of your shots. The better ones are at the end of the gallery. The first ones are unlikely to impress people. I'd move to ISO 400. You'll be more successfull at stopping the action.

You'll probably get a lot more feedback if you post your best shots here, rather than providing a link. Most people won't bother with clicking on an external link unless they have a lot of time on their hands.
    Thanks. The first shots were done with a kit lens, the later ones with a more pro level, 70-200 2.8 IS. I do plan to do as mentioned, watermark and rightclick protect, but I haven't given the url to any parents yet. Wanted to get some feedback here first. See if I need to reprocess at all. It's a lot of pics to post, I'll see if I have time later, off to daughters soccer practice and more 70-200 practice for me!! As far as the ISO at 400, some of those are at 400 or more. We just haven't had decent weathe around here yet. You'll see the rain in some of the later shots. Thanks.
    5D3, 7D, 50 1.4, 580EX, EFS 70-200L 2.8 IS MkI, 1.4x TC, 24-70 MKII, 85 1.8,(that's it ...for now)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Post some shots thumb.gif
    edited June 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Post some shots thumb.gif
    Here goes
    306584434_ejCR5-L.jpg
    306604377_UpwvW-L.jpg
    306605059_EsN2G-L.jpg
    306605250_nB7jj-L.jpg
    306609366_wdts8-L.jpg
    306619479_hXEUE-L.jpg
    My son, you'll see a lot of him :D
    306625213_QwaP2-L.jpg
    Coaches son, cute kid, camera likes him (I know, touch up around the back of the knee)
    306625095_Yroxz-L.jpg

306624965_tK8Y4-L.jpg
    The original
    306626021_9295i-L.jpg

Ok, so here's a sampe, my first time at this, what do I need to change on these photos? On the coaches son, do I leave room in from of him or crop it close as in the first one? Looking for some C&C on all photos. Cheers
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Looks like some good work there thumb.gif

parents outta love 'em.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I really love some of the expressions on their faces that you captured.

-- Lisa P.
    edited June 8, 2008
    Bump. What I really want is negative C&C. Does that make sense? I guess What I really want to know is are these good enough to buy? Can I improve on these? Composition, color, sharpness. I want to know that the work flow is in the right direction. Thanks
  • Darned WizzeDarned Wizze Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2008
    I am a guy with only 3 posts, and not a whole lot of photog experience, so these remarks are coming solely from a parent perspective (which just so happens to be who your hopeful clients are)

Pictures 1,2 and 3 would be perfect if the bat had remained intact.
    Picture 5 loses its appeal due to background.
    Pictures 4 and 6 are just fine. (4 in my opinion is awesome)

Please note I love all the pictures. If I were the parent of these kids though, the above are the only hesitations I may find with them. I absolutely love the capture of the facial expressions.
    edited June 9, 2008
    I am a guy with only 3 posts, and not a whole lot of photog experience, so these remarks are coming solely from a parent perspective (which just so happens to be who your hopeful clients are)

Pictures 1,2 and 3 would be perfect if the bat had remained intact.
    Picture 5 loses its appeal due to background.
    Pictures 4 and 6 are just fine.
    (4 in my opinion is awesome)
    That one happens to be my son :D
    Please note I love all the pictures. If I were the parent of these kids though, the above are the only hesitations I may find with them. I absolutely love the capture of the facial expressions.
    Hey, you may only have 3 post's, but that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good stuff to know. I'll try to keep the bat in the pics from now on. And as far as the background, I photoshoped a lot out as it was, but when it's right behind the player, it gets tough. Thanks

edit: you can see how busy it gets on the side lines looking at the last pic. Cheers
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    I took a look at your galleries and you have been improving from the frist T-ball to latest one. thumb.gif

Things that I've learned about sports photography (mainly ice hockey)...
    -Shoot tight, crop even tighter
    -Face, Action, Contact, Ball in most frame
    -clean backgrounds
    -change your angles, get low

and since you're want parents to buy your photos
    -think baseball cards shots
    -think Sports Illustrated
    -think SportsShooter, good read
    -you need to capture moments that GWC can not obtain. You have some good captures, but there also many that any decent GWC can obtain. If a GWC can take then, why should they buy your photos?

You are doing a lot of things well (good focus, stopped motion, posting not too many photos), but I'm also seeing a plenty of back of jerseys and jersey numbers instead of faces, lots and lots background distractions and crops that are not tight enough.

I hope this helps
    edited June 9, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I took a look at your galleries and you have been improving from the frist T-ball to latest one. thumb.gif

Things that I've learned about sports photography (mainly ice hockey)...
    -Shoot tight, crop even tighter
    -Face, Action, Contact, Ball in most frame
    -clean backgrounds
    -change your angles, get low

and since you're want parents to buy your photos
    -think baseball cards shots
    -think Sports Illustrated
    -think SportsShooter, good read
    -you need to capture moments that GWC can not obtain. You have some good captures, but there also many that any decent GWC can obtain. If a GWC can take then, why should they buy your photos?

You are doing a lot of things well (good focus, stopped motion, posting not too many photos), but I'm also seeing a plenty of back of jerseys and jersey numbers instead of faces, lots and lots background distractions and crops that are not tight enough.

I hope this helps
    First of all, thanks for the input. Can't do much about the background when they're at the plate, the last photo show's that. The cropping I can work on. Unfortunately every game has been cloudy if not raining. So cropping in with iso at 800 or more gets pretty grainy. I've got a 1.4 to go with the 70-00, but loose a stop. This is my first attempt and cant wait for more opportunities. Daughter is on travel soccer team so that will be my next assignment. We're in Junurary here in Portland, waiting for some sun. As far as the faces, I know what you mean, I don't like photos without faces but I liked the action. Thanks again, cheers.