Options

Please help, Auto or True color

ShyclickShyclick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 6, 2008 in Finishing School
I know I know, this has probably been asked about 100 times, I read through all the theads I could find about it, and learned that Auto color works great for natural photos and people shots. However, I couldn't find anything about photos that have been altered in photoshop, I am afraid auto would try and revert a high key picture i have back to normal... or I'm afraid True color something would print up differently... which do you sugguest I use for an altered photo.BabyGrace.jpg I uploaded it, for an exmple.

Comments

• Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    If you have done a bunch of post processing to get the colors just so, go for true color. That way they don't "correct" what you have done.

Keep in mind that unless you have a color calibrated monitor and are aware of the printing color profile, you might not get out what you expect. (There are a bunch of threads here all about color calibration.)

My usual theory is that when in doubt, go for true color. Then if the colors suck, it is your fault, not the fault of their software. :D

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Shyclick wrote:
    I know I know, this has probably been asked about 100 times, I read through all the theads I could find about it, and learned that Auto color works great for natural photos and people shots. However, I couldn't find anything about photos that have been altered in photoshop, I am afraid auto would try and revert a high key picture i have back to normal... or I'm afraid True color something would print up differently... which do you sugguest I use for an altered photo.BabyGrace.jpg I uploaded it, for an exmple.

If you are confident that you have tweaked the color and luminosity correctly for an image and your system is color calibrated and you just want to get a print similar to what you see on your screen, then "True Color" is the desired option. If you haven't adjusted color balance or brightness or aren't sure your system is color calibrated, then that's what auto was designed for.

For a specialty image like this, I would think you would want Smugmug/EZPrints to leave the image alone and print it like you've prepared it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    ShyclickShyclick Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    If you are confident that you have tweaked the color and luminosity correctly for an image and your system is color calibrated and you just want to get a print similar to what you see on your screen, then "True Color" is the desired option. If you haven't adjusted color balance or brightness or aren't sure your system is color calibrated, then that's what auto was designed for.

For a specialty image like this, I would think you would want Smugmug/EZPrints to leave the image alone and print it like you've prepared it.

Well, I don't think my system is color calibrated but I did tweak the photo to the way I wanted it. Well I e-mailed the person purchasing it and told her true color, I guess lets hope for the best haha!!
  • Options
    mommymotesmommymotes Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2008
    beautiful picture
    Please tell how you edited the picture. I am new at all of this and am trying to learn tricks. I would love to have pictures of my children like that. I have photoshop 5.0 but i'm not good at using it yet