what to do with a wrinkley background

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited June 5, 2008 in People
Had some friends over to take a few pics. didn't realize the background so wrinkley. Here are a few attempts to fix it. I thought this was fun. The first is the untouched version, then several approaches. I am aware of other problems with these photos--hair light too hot, bad expressions, etc. I am still new enough to photoshop to be amazed by it. CC welcome.

wrinkles:
306750146_N9BVj-M.jpg

306748662_Yybdf-M.jpg

306748528_vMsmN-M.jpg

306748422_SdxVS-M.jpg

306748374_TqiD5-M.jpg

306748294_Je4Td-M.jpg

306748242_B53wu-M.jpg

306748185_pbWKW-M.jpg

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Being the conservative, unimaginative old curmudgeon I am, I like #4.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    This reminds me of the couple of hours of ironing/steaming I had to do on my first background I got about a month ago....oh my tired arms!!

I tend to like #4 best as well and then #6 except that 6 has a kind of halo type thing going on. (sorry, I'm new to photoshopping as well and I really don't know the proper terms)

Between #3 and #5 I prefer #5 with the smaller squares. Even though there are more squares because they are smaller, I find it to be not quite so busy as #3.

#7's kinda too funky for me but I do like their expressions :)

#8 - the outline around them is too strong for my liking, but that's just me.

Thanks for sharing because now I know it's possible to salvage wrinkley backgrounds!! :))

-- Lisa P.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    next time you shoot, just move the subjects farther away from the background - that will keep the wrinkles and the shadows out of your image.

I also like the plain gradiant background the best out of these images.

Another thing you might want to try on the background to save it is to just apply a strong guassian blur to it, that should clean it right up.mwink.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    well, I think the most currently usable shot is the plain gradient background. My favorite background that you did was #6, but as was previously said the people seemed to have a halo around them. I think if you were to work a bit more with that one to keep the halo out it would be the best shot.

Nate
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I like #2 I mean as you mentioned you know what wrong with them. I think that's my favorite attempt. Although the gradient is technically better
  • macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I like #4 and #5. I like these because of the backgrounds and the fact that here are no shadows.
    Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
    www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    next time you shoot, just move the subjects farther away from the background - that will keep the wrinkles and the shadows out of your image.

I also like the plain gradiant background the best out of these images.

Another thing you might want to try on the background to save it is to just apply a strong guassian blur to it, that should clean it right up.mwink.gif

Yeah, for the main shoot that day (the man's step daughter) I did that. I just was in a hurry for these shots. I did the gussian blur on one of the backgrounds.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    #4 w/o a doubt.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Yeah, for the main shoot that day (the man's step daughter) I did that. I just was in a hurry for these shots. I did the gussian blur on one of the backgrounds.

I saw that, #6 right? The only problem with that one is the blooming glow around the people. To use GB on a background you really need to extract the forground then use the clone tool to remove get rid of the forground elements from the bakground layer. Then blur. Doing it that way will give you a nice clean foreground with no blooming and a nice smooth background.
    :D
    ~ Lisa