Canon Lens Question ???

WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Cameras
:scratch Does anyone know if the older Canon FD lens fit the newer EOS Digital Cameras ?

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    headscratch.gif Does anyone know if the older Canon FD lens fit the newer EOS Digital Cameras ?
    thanksheadscratch.gif

Yeah, you just need an adapter - they are all over ebay at like $35

I've never tried it personally, but was just looking into that last night. I think you loose autofocus and all kinds of other stuff.
    ~ Lisa
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Bad idea...
    You cannot focus the FD lenses at infinity unless you have an adapter which includes optical components and most adapters don't have these components. The optical adapters are collectors items and therefore very expensive. They also provide pretty sad imagery.

Now, you can use the manual focus lenses from other manufacturers such as Minolta on a Canon camera.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited June 4, 2008
    I have this adapter from Adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/CZFDEOSA.html

(The image they display is wrong and the actual part looks nothing like that image.)

It is a teleconverter with proper coupling to adapt Canon FD mount lenses to Canon EOS EF bodies. It has an optical element and provides 1.3x magnification with the loss of one f stop of efficiency.

It is a little clumsy to mount on the lens and you do not have either autofocus or focus confirmation or auto aperture. Unless you have either a very expensive FD telephoto lens or an FD macro lens, I wouldn't bother. If you are not used to manual focus (you will also need a focusing aid of some sort) and preset aperture lens use, you will find yourself hating the combination.

I have mine mounted to a Canon 100-200mm, f5.6 and it is difficult to use and the results are unsatisfying.

I have a Canon AE1 Program film camera that I keep functional for the FD lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    From what I've read, there's a Canon FD-EOS adapter, and a third-party knockoff that doesn't work too well. So the Canon is the preferred one, but is out of production and rare. So the consensus seems to be it's not worth the bother.