Options

The price of salvation.

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited April 18, 2005 in Holy Macro
Snapped this at the cathedral Thursday afternoon. What say you?

19381971-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Too much light pollution i think mate. Looks a bit dull. Sorry but if someone asks...i will spill it.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    ang,

just imagine what a slight change in camera angle (perspective) would do to the shot. you'd be showing a more dramatic amount of candles.

try this shot with a wide angle lens, the $5 box lower left, and nothing but candles :D
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ang,

just imagine what a slight change in camera angle (perspective) would do to the shot. you'd be showing a more dramatic amount of candles.

try this shot with a wide angle lens, the $5 box lower left, and nothing but candles :D
    Andy, I want to understand this suggestion but... so help me please...

BTW I shot with my kit lens and "taped" at 18mm as you've suggested earlier.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Too much light pollution i think mate. Looks a bit dull. Sorry but if someone asks...i will spill it.
    thanks for looking hummer. by light pollution are you referring to all the reflection from the sky on the glass?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    thanks for looking hummer. by light pollution are you referring to all the reflection from the sky on the glass?
    No mate...just too much light in the shot to give it any depth/warmth. Too much light source from another area but the flames.

Next time go & pull the churches fuses & run back inside...you will get a few good shots in before they can find the fuse board.

Hey...im inbetween popes at the moment.....so i can say that.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No mate...just too much light in the shot to give it any depth/warmth. Too much light source from another area but the flames.

Next time go & pull the churches fuses & run back inside...you will get a few good shots in before they can find the fuse board.

Hey...im inbetween popes at the moment.....so i can say that.
    AH, well I see your point but this is actually an exterior, courtyard shot. What you're seeing is a lot of daylight, very cloudy but daylight none the less. I can see how it appears to be too much light when assuming it's an interior shot.

I'll have to try this again experimenting with different settings. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Do you buy the candles for 5.00 or do you just get to light them?
    Ours are a donation, but we just light them.

I agree with Andy. Use the candles as a design, not a record shot.

Since we are in between Popes, does that mean anything goes? Interesting concept. Too bad the sin challenge wasn't this week. I took my flashlight to the swamp with me, but the batteries were dead.

Nice going, Angelo, with each step, we get closer to what we want.........I guess, and I hope.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Do you buy the candles for 5.00 or do you just get to light them?
    Ours are a donation, but we just light them.

I agree with Andy. Use the candles as a design, not a record shot.

Since we are in between Popes, does that mean anything goes? Interesting concept. Too bad the sin challenge wasn't this week. I took my flashlight to the swamp with me, but the batteries were dead.

Nice going, Angelo, with each step, we get closer to what we want.........I guess, and I hope.

ginger
    Hey Ginger:

$5 is the donation to light a candle. I'm trying to figure out how ro reframe this to make it more interesting. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Andy, I want to understand this suggestion but... so help me please...

BTW I shot with my kit lens and "taped" at 18mm as you've suggested earlier.

the shot is too "straight-on" i want to see the candle collection. change the angle of shooting, get *close* even closer
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the shot is too "straight-on" i want to see the candle collection. change the angle of shooting, get *close* even closer
    by "too straight-on" I'm going to assume you mean, too ordinary, too expected, too matter-of-fact...

and "closer"? hmmmmm... I have an idea. I'll head back down to the church ASAP and give it another try.

BTW, I rechecked my shooting info and I goofed... this was shot at 40mm, not 18. My bad!
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    Good idea, but I agree with andy. I'll be interested to see the re-shoot!
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    yoo hoo Andy!!!???
    OK, I'm totally incapable of figuring this one out.

Andy - I revisited the cathedral and tried my darndest to find an interesting shot while keeping your critique/suggestions in mind.

I cranked the lens to 18mm, looked for every angle and snapped these losers. I got close *real close*, so close in fact there's some distortion Laughing.gif.

Please tell me what you think; what you had in mind; what I've done wrong. Thanks.

19964556-L.jpg

19964557-L.jpg
    19964560-L.jpg
  • Options
    amangoldamangold Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Here is a similar one (in concept)...fuzzy...but i love the color and composition...
    Audrey Mangold
    :dunno not a clue...does it show?