Aruba Part II

Jody MelansonJody Melanson Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Wildlife
Part I available here: Aruba Part I

These following photos are some from my second day out shooting.

First up is a Pied Billed Grebe. We have them here in Southern Ontario, but you can't get within miles of them. Was nice to get almost full framers of them in Aruba. :)

296341944_PC8kZ-O.jpg

Bare-eyed Pigeon

296342012_5XCnW-O.jpg

Same thing about getting close to Green Herons back home here. You need a blind to have them come close. In Aruba, I could see them everywhere, almost stepping on them! :D

296342035_SnWWs-O.jpg

My wife and I went on a Catamaran Sunset Cruise. This photo was taken while we were waiting to board. It is 5 photos stitched together.

296342145_qXbrn-O.jpg

On the cruise, they served us chicken wings and meatballs. A lady took a bunch of the chewed up chicken wing remains and was holding them out for the Laughing Gulls. They almost took them from her hand, but not quite. They did come quite close though. This photo was taken at 135mm handheld on a rocking boat. Full frame. :)

296840825_U7HRk-O.jpg

This Laughing Gull was taken at 90mm. Full frame with slight crop off the left side for composition.

296840842_HjiUi-O.jpg

The following photos are from my third day. We went on a kayak tour to a small island. I was going to take my camera in the kayak with me and the guys leading us talked me out of taking it in the kayak. One guy took it across the ferry for me. I'm sure glad he did! 2-3' waves were crashing on us as we crossed to the island. :O

We went snorkeling while on the island. We were swimming along and all of a sudden my wife is clinging to me like an Anaconda! I look and see why she was choking the life out of me.....beautiful blue Parrot Fish. They were about 2 feet long and fairly beefy. After snorkeling for a bit and seeing some pretty cool fish, we got out and went for lunch. The restaurant was across a walkway that had a rocky beach below it. I looked down and saw many, many, Crabs crawling around. Of course after lunch I went a climbed down to get some pictures of them while my wife lay in the Sun. I found this Moray Eel and a few others in the shallow water. Luckily my wife never saw these while we were in the water or I would have been a goner! :D

Moray Eel from the island.

296840871_j2N7P-O.jpg

You can see a Crab in this picture of another Eel. He is on the left side, in the middle.

296840909_R9sUb-O.jpg

You can see how well they blend in with their surroundings in this photo. These Crabs walked forward instead of sideways like any other Crab I have seen. Also they jumped like a Jumping Spider! I saw them regularly jump about a foot. ( I tried to get one in flight unsuccessfully. :()

296840947_Lfo4z-O.jpg

I almost stepped on this little Sea Urchin!

296840989_wrdJK-O.jpg

My first time ever seeing a White Cheeked Pintail. Gorgeous Duck!

296841009_Ap6oB-O.jpg

296841035_kVSgg-O.jpg

There were Lizards, Anoles and Iguanas all over the place. I am having a hard time ID'ing them.

Lizard

296841090_nYCde-O.jpg

Lizard or Skink?

296841111_f6YkC-O.jpg

Cool looking little guys...

296841138_JTy4E-O.jpg

Part III one of these days....sorry for the lack of participation as work and life has been keeping me very busy.
There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness!

Comments