Options

RAW: What settings matter?

jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited June 4, 2008 in Technique
What camera settings matter when shooting in RAW mode? I'm looking for a definitive list. My camera is a Nikon D40.

Does this setting affect the RAW file:
shutter speed: yes
aperture: yes
ISO: yes
focus: yes
flash: yes
flash compensation: yes
flash sync: yes
metering: not directly but metering affects SS and A if you let the camera choose SS or A
exposure compensation: ???
white balance: no?
noise reduction: no?
image sharpening: no?
tone compensation: no?
color mode: no?
saturation: no?
hue adjustment: no?

I think my NOs are right but please correct me if any of them are wrong. The only one I really have no idea on exposure compensation. I don't know if it adjusts a setting on the sensor before the image is captured of if it applied post capture. I assume there are other settings you can adjust on fancier cameras but I think this is it for the D40.

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    I think my NOs are right but please correct me if any of them are wrong. The only one I really have no idea on exposure compensation. I don't know if it adjusts a setting on the sensor before the image is captured of if it applied post capture. I assume there are other settings you can adjust on fancier cameras but I think this is it for the D40.
    Your list looks accurate. Exposure compensation directly affects your aperture in Shutter priority or your shutter speed in Aperture priority. If you are in Aperture priority and you put in a positive EC it will slow your shuuter speed. If you put in a negative EC it will raise your shutter speed. So you do need to get EC close in camera.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    jpljpl Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Ya know I never noticed that exposure compensation affects the shutter speed and aperture. That would explain why the exposure button becomes an aperture button in manual mode. It makes sense now.

(I'm a beginner in case you couldn't already tell mwink.gif)
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Exposure compensation and metering mode matters.
    Generally what RAW offers over JPEG is that there is no processing after the image is captured by the sensor.

So things like color/bw, WB, saturation, contrast, sharpening, noise reduction, and color space will have to be done by you and not the camera's processing program.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited June 4, 2008
    jpl wrote:
    Ya know I never noticed that exposure compensation affects the shutter speed and aperture. That would explain why the exposure button becomes an aperture button in manual mode. It makes sense now.

(I'm a beginner in case you couldn't already tell mwink.gif)

If your cam is set to aperture priority, exposure compensation will alter the shutter speed. If your cam is set to shutter priority, EC will alter the aperture.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    jpl,

If your using Capture NX for post-processing, then it will read some of the settings and apply them to the image when opened. I don't use NX a lot, but remember reading that some of the settings are applied. If your using a differnent application (LR, CS, etc.) then no settings are applied.

In general, shotting RAW is the best method in my opinion. It's provides more flexibility to correct an image post processing than JPG will.

Dale
  • Options
    ManamarakManamarak Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 4, 2008
    exposure compensation: Yes

But only if you're not in manual mode. Exposure compensation affects the Raw image by adjusting the shutter speed or aperture.